I can't win .... Speaker Placement.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Wickfut, May 12, 2009.

1. Wickfut

Tenson Moderator

Thanks Bottleneck :)

Wickfut, can you post plots of the frequency sweeps?

As I said in my first post I don't think the issue is entirely due to room modes and bass suck-out. Looking at the picture of your room I suspect an overly long decay time in the mid and top range. Some 2" thick panels of rockwool placed strategically can help a lot, as my graphs demonstrate.

This is the room my graphs were of, my 'demonstration' set-up for the kit I make. You can see how the how I have my room treatments placed, but you don't need to take things as far as I have to get big results.

[​IMG]

Tenson, May 13, 2009
  2. Wickfut

The Devil IHTFP

Oh well, there's no conflict of interest here, as Simon doesn't sell room correction gear.

Oh no, hang on, he does!

The Devil, May 13, 2009
  3. Wickfut

RobHolt Moderator

For James

In the interests of balance, EQ and room correction gear is also available from Yamaha, Roland, Lyngdorf and Behringer themselves.

Audiosmile no longer manufacture or sell passive room treatments.

RobHolt, May 13, 2009
  4. Wickfut

Wickfut

No sorry , I done the sweep using a synthesized sine wave in soundforge and then located the note to the closest piano key, which in turn give me the hz value.

Looking at your graph, your room treatment actually made your upper bass dip worse by -3 or -4db @ 200hz

Wickfut, May 13, 2009
  5. Wickfut

Tenson Moderator

I'm not recommending electronic correction, which is what I sell. Although it could help the situation, the real cure would be physical treatments.

In absolute terms yes the narrow dip at 200Hz was made about -2dB worse. However, it only made a change over a very narrow section. High 'Q' dips like this are less troublesome to our ears than broad trends. It was such a small change that it can be ignored in light of the other changes.

As an experiment, can you try bringing a couple of duvets in to the room? Maybe one hung over the TV area between the speakers and one on a couple of broom handles to support it behind the listening seat? Should allow you to hear some change.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
    Tenson, May 14, 2009
  6. Wickfut

Haselsh1 Shaun H

When I worked with Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Hull we had a very large pair of heavy weight curtains made with thick blackout liners for positioning behind the sofa. This helped no end to counteract the liveliness of the room and the suspended ceiling. It didn't look too bad either. I guess it comes down to domestic bliss. Either it's a lounge or it's a Hi-Fi room...?​

Haselsh1, May 14, 2009
  7. Wickfut

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Someone mentioned Dali speakers...? I bought a brand new pair of Suite 2.8 Dali's from a Sevenoaks in Brighton at a cost of 500 pounds and they are still stunning even after the honeymoon period has passed. The mid and treble is quite bright but they are fairly well balanced overall. One thing that is notable about them is that they are very polite and tend not to aggravate in any big way. Problems...??? They are too big for my lounge.​

Haselsh1, May 14, 2009
  8. Wickfut

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, it was me... :)

I've seen the 2.8s on fleabay too...in fact I bid on some a while back as a guy had bought some himself but were too big for his room and had a .99p starting bid (with a BIN for 300) - I put in a max bid of 251...

anyway, I've just won some ikon 5s for a good price too... :)

mr cat, May 14, 2009
  9. Wickfut

jm1970

I live in a victorian house with wooden floors and a set up not disimilar to the original picture. I tried some Quadraspire QX7's isolation shoes under my PL100 speakers and the results were stunning. All the frequencies became more balanced and bass was far more extended. In short it sounded miles better. I'm guessing the wooden floor was absorbing alot of the energy before. Also I probably wouldn't have mirrors on the back wall behind the system as this won't help.

jm1970, May 14, 2009
  10. Wickfut

DavidF

Andy, there are so many crass statements made on the forum ist not totally surprising.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick though.

DavidF, May 15, 2009
  11. Wickfut

cliffyboy

Although not to adept with rookm treatment and have only done the minimal to my music room so far.

The one item I did learn from exeperience, was that having a large glass tv inbetween your speakers will ultimately higher the reflections of the mids and highs, thus I think waht tenson said about tryinga duvet ove rthe TV would make a difference. It certainly did with mine and now the TV is gone, replaced with a wall mounted acoustic board (can't quite remember the name)

Hope that helps.

cliffyboy, May 16, 2009
  12. Wickfut

Wickfut

right I've more or less sorted it..

thanks everyone for the help , I've discovered a few interesting things about accoustics while I've been fiddling (like when playing a sine sweep from just the left speaker and it must get to the wavelength of the room and sounds like it's comming from the right speaker etc.. )

Going to look into some corner bass traps in the comming months to take a couple of bass room nodes and a large hanging tapestry or something to take a bit of glare off.

I now have 5 different speaker cables , they all sound different in their own way (and I will be quite happy to prove it to the none believers if they're local) and one type that arrived this morning just blew my socks off :)

A pair of 2m terminated QED Revelation cables arrived and I quickly swapped out my anti-cables and noticed the sound seemed "flatter" and quieter... I soon realised that these aren't hyping/muting anything... this cable is pretty amazing, great synergy with my set up and I'm quite happy for a bit (until I spot a black CD31 and A33.2 going cheep)

once again , cheers all

Wickfut, May 16, 2009
  13. Wickfut

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Wickfut: mmmm, maybe you had the bass drivers out of phase- miraculously improved by untwisting the wire? Or could be you had huge inductance caused by a bad weave pattern on the cable.

Either way it sounds like you have cancellation issues in the room.

sq225917, May 16, 2009
  14. Wickfut

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

For some inexplicable reason I'm reminded of this clip:

YNMOAN, May 16, 2009
  15. Wickfut

scott_01

Is it the comments at the end about 'Putting a twist on it?' or perhaps the 'fine line between stupid and clever'?

Genius, (Spinal Tap, not you YNWAN, although that was very funny).

scott_01, May 16, 2009
  16. Wickfut

Wickfut

give up , maybe I'm in "moron mode" or something ?

fancy spelling it out ?

Wickfut, May 16, 2009
  17. Wickfut

barry2tone Different in which ear?

Today I learnt......

Thanks for putting into words exactly what I've been hearing, Tenson. I've been to my dealers and got some Advanced Acoustic panels on dem this weekend. Peachy :)

barry2tone, May 17, 2009
  18. Wickfut

DavidF

pics??

let us know how you get on....

DavidF, May 17, 2009
  19. Wickfut

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Yes indeed, I think it was the last ten seconds or so that I was probably thinking of ;)

YNMOAN, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question