I dont believe this

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by T-bone Sanchez, Jun 23, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

This has stunned me. Further to the environment thread and the part were it goes of track and we discuss cars and TVR's in particular Ive just heard some very bad news. Ive just been told that a mate of my dads and mine, who Ive known all my life has been killed in a car crash. I dont have the full story but it sounds like he's hit a lampost on the A666. He hadnt long changed his XK8 for a TVR Cerberra, a car which he's lusted after for years. His wife is okay. He leaves 3 young children. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2005
    T-bone Sanchez, Jun 23, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

rsand I can't feel my toes

Thats awful news. And confirms that TVR are indeed a handful and worthy of extra training. I know the jag was a fast RWD car but its VERY soft at the side of a TVR :(

rsand, Jun 23, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Yeah, he did know how to drive but I guess anyone can be caught out. Decent bloke, my dads watched him grow up, Ive always looked up to him, bit of a 'hero' for me when I was a nipper. Oh well.

4. T-bone Sanchez

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Sorry to hear about that, it always comes as a big shock, my mums best friends husband was killed on a motorbike a few years back, and before his accident we often used to say how daft he was riding a bike at his age (46) it was a very powerful machine.

:)

The A666 as in the Snake Pass? Thats the most dangerious road in the country isn't? I have some quite terryifying memories of that road in the back of a rear wheel drive Lada.

amazingtrade, Jun 23, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

mr cat Member of the month

thats sad news indeed - sorry to hijack your post, but my uncle's got cancer, only days left to live (it came over very, very quick), I'm going to visit him tonight, not that he'll know who I am...it's affected his mind big time too....sad, very sad

mr cat, Jun 23, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Sad news, and ironic that it happens on a road called the 666 :eek:

PBirkett, Jun 23, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Sorry to hear that... No doubt there will be a few around me over the summer as all the boys bring their porsches and ferraris up to play on the moors. Given the weather, I'd rather a nice convertible GT (330Ci or A4 3.0 at the cheaper end, DB9, DB9 or DB9 at the expensive end) and just cruise with the top down...

I-S, Jun 23, 2005
  8. T-bone Sanchez

When its this warm its better with the hood up and aircon on. Bikes are great fun but I havent ridden mine for years I just dont want to let it go but don't feel comfy getting back on, its not super fast by todays standards (15yr old Ducatti 750) but some of the brain dead drivers out there scare me.

Isaac, I'd be happy with the new V8 Vantage and have the £30k+ in my account.

rsand, Jun 23, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

Yeah its also the UK's most dangerious road, its a basicaly a road that goes through Derbyshire though the hills, there is lots of bendy roads on it, its the original road that linked Manchester to Sheffield.

10. T-bone Sanchez

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The Snake pass is the A57 not A666.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 23, 2005
  11. T-bone Sanchez

SCIDB Moderator

Hi T-Bone Sanchez,

Sorry to hear about your bad news.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 23, 2005
  12. T-bone Sanchez

SCIDB Moderator

Hi AT,

The A666 runs from Bolton to Blackburn via Darwin. The most dangerous road in Britain isn't the Snake Pass. There are alot more dangerous roads.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 23, 2005
  13. T-bone Sanchez

I saw an article on it last year, with regard to the snake pass. I will see if I can find it, I just got the two A roads mixed up.

14. T-bone Sanchez

Matt F

Make you think - it certainly reminds me of the times my Impreza Turbo with it's 4WD and anti-lock brakes got me out of some pretty hairy situations that I'd been stupid enough to get myself into. I dread to think what may have happened I been driving a TVR and not the relatively fool-proof scooby!

Matt.

Matt F, Jun 23, 2005
  15. T-bone Sanchez

You would have respected it more!

rsand, Jun 23, 2005
  16. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

It does make you think. Whats upset us abit is that we've only just been told, so we've now missed the funeral and all that. Although our contact had become less frequent we all still go back along way and his mate see's us on a weekly basis. Still, it doesnt really matter.

The car was actually a Tuscan Speed Six, a brand spanker purple beast he'd just got, it wasnt the Cerberra. He hit a stone wall late at night and he and his wife had to be cut free. It took 30 mins to get him out and was pronounced DOA due the massive internal and head injuries. His wife suffered a broken pelvis and numerous other broken bones. I think its safe to say he wasnt tickling it.

Still, he lived life to the full, he was seriously into racing his mountain bike down steep hills and certainly had the best of everything.

Matt, I know what your saying. Ive done some stupid things and got away with it but you do wonder for how long. At the moment my vehicle isnt really of concern but when I get back into proper stuff who knows. If theres one thing in my favour its that I dont drive full-on with passengers and I do limit it to areas I consider suitable and I have had quite abit of professional training on the roads (although Im far from the most skilled).

He didnt drink much so I guess I'll raise a glass of orange juice and have a blast over some moor roads in my humble diesel.

17. T-bone Sanchez

Its ultimately the danger that gets the adrenalin going in most of us, a Tuscan is a total beast even the likes of Clarkson and the stigg find it a handful, probably too easy to push it before you get used to it. Your friend paid the ultimate price but he went doing what he loved, his poor wife may have paid a bigger one.

rsand, Jun 23, 2005
  18. T-bone Sanchez

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Sorry to hear about this.... just make me realise that I have been cured of my petrol headishness since becoming a father. I used to lust after fancy cars, the nearest I ever got was BMW 325Ci as the practicality gene always got the better of me.... since fatherhood I've forgoten all about it and will be content with 2 litre 5 door roomy family cars from now on.

alanbeeb, Jun 23, 2005
  19. T-bone Sanchez

I do wish I wasn't into such bad investments as cars and hi-fi, I would have a much nicer house.

rsand, Jun 23, 2005
Ask a Question