I have a valve amp!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by A0S, Mar 7, 2004.

1. A0S

A0S

It's my first ever valve amp.
    It's a Aurexx Crystal 1, apparently it was kit produced by Dutch HiFi magazine RB Electronica and built by the chap in my local HiFi shop.
    It's 3.5 watts a channel and uses 1 ECC83 & 2 EL84's for those who know something about such things (I don't) anyway it sounds pretty cool.
    If anyone does know anymore about it, or the valves, I would be interested too hear more.

Andrew

A0S, Mar 7, 2004
  2. A0S

SCIDB Moderator

Hi AOS,

Is this it.

I don't know much about this amp. The valves it uses are plentiful & cheap.

The EL84 is a valve from the 50s. It was used as low cost radio valve. It could be used in simple circuits thatt don't cost to much. It was used to good effect in guitar amps. The most famous was the Vox AC30. Can be picked up from around £5 upwards.

The ECC83 is a very much used valve that can offer high gain & low noise. A hell of a lot of companies have used this valve. Can be picked from £3 upwards.

You can get different makes of each valve. If used with sensitive speakers you should get some good sounds. With it's low cost it may have that 'valve glow' to the sound. It weaknesses may be at the extremes (Bass & treble) but it sounds like a nice introduction to valves.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 7, 2004
  3. A0S

A0S

Hi SCIDB
    Yep that's the one!
    It sounds very musical, as opposed to 'HiFi'.
    Back in the days when I had a guitar I always wanted an AC30!
    It certainly seems to like 50's & 60's Jazz maybe I'll try some 60's blues too.
    Thanks for explaining the valves. I think the ones in it are Russian but the chap in the shop said I should think about think about replacing them with American or German ones. He also said it might be worth upgrading the resistors and capacitors. It sounds fine for now but if I do think about tweaking it I will consider these areas.

Cheers,
    Andrew

A0S, Mar 7, 2004
  4. A0S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hiya

If you want to change the caps/resistors or alter it in another way... (I notice you are in London) ... I know 2 people in London and 1 in Milton Keynes I would reccomend for servicing and alteration work.. or you could always DIY if you have the experience/bug!

Is it worth it? .. I doubt anyone on this forum can tell you what it will sound like afterwards... I certainly cant! :)

Russian valves can be ok.
    Are they Sovteks? They might be absolutely fine..

Like Dean said though, you could change the lot for under 20! :) which would be a laugh to play with.

Glad you like the amps.
    What speakers are you running with them?

bottleneck, Mar 8, 2004
  5. A0S

penance Arrogant Cock

My fav ECC83 has got to be a NOS mullard :)

penance, Mar 8, 2004
  6. A0S

Lt Cdr Data om

so far I have found mullards to sound best, too, but you have found an amp with the cheapest and commonest valves imaginable to buy so good listening.

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 8, 2004
  7. A0S

penance Arrogant Cock

AOS
    i think i have a spar ecc83, its a golden dragon tube, not the best by a long shot but your welcome to try it.

penance, Mar 8, 2004
  8. A0S

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

got a few mullard ecc8's in my junk box,send us your addy and i'll post ya one

themadhippy, Mar 8, 2004
  9. A0S

A0S

Hi guys,
    Wow thanks for all your comment / sugestions.
    Bottleneck the EL 84s are indeed Sovteks so I assume from your comment these are pretty good. The ECC83S is a JJ(?).
    At the moment just for a laugh I am running it into a pair of Spendor S3/5 BBC copies. Not the loudest combo but a very good sound on the Miles Davis I have currently playing.
    Thanks Penance & TMH for the offer of spare tubes you will both have pm shortly.
    BTW Penance if you are anywhere near London you are welcome to borrow my Sonneteer Alabaster amp to see if that will drive your Dyns while I'm playing with the Aurexx.

Cheers
    Andrew

A0S, Mar 8, 2004
  10. A0S

penance Arrogant Cock

i found the golden dragon to be a tad bright sometimes, nice dtail but maybe to much. But give it a whirl YMMV
    Unfortunately im in Bristol so a tad far to try the amp, appreciated all the same:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2004
    penance, Mar 8, 2004
Ask a Question