I have gone and done a penance!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

well nearly....I took a chance to try a new amp!! a musical fidelity ..(ready for the WM ribbing:D ) but its the a1000 ,so a tim de para design, and a good price....trouble is, the guy wants paying by cheque, to a hotel in Edinburgh.
    I have foned him and he sounds fine etc. , but you just never know...I will have to drive 200 miles to collect:rolleyes:

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 21, 2003
  2. Lt Cdr Data

penance Arrogant Cock

my name synonimus with bad deals eh

fancy popping in on a guy in fife while your there?

penance, Oct 21, 2003
  3. Lt Cdr Data

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Urrrrgggggggg :( I give up :D

wadia-miester, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Dev Moderator

r u giving up criticising MF? about time too:D

Dev, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Lt Cdr Data

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

That'll be the day :D ( as they continue to sound like strained tea) I'm sure the props dept of the new Dr, Who will be rubbing their hands with glee :cool:

wadia-miester, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Steven Toy

Mf = Musical fatality. Who said that? :eek:

It wasn't me but my own opinion is not terribly far away.

MF is the Budweiser of hi-fi - well-marketed and insipid, imho.

Steven Toy, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Lt Cdr Data

dunkyboy

So.. what's so bad about Musical Fidelity amps..?

/me hesitates momentarily, finger poised above the 'Submit Reply' button, with the phrase "Draco dormiens numquam titillandus" briefly flashing into his head...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Lt Cdr Data

Steven Toy

The giant sore throat lozenger amps sounded as though the leading edges had all been chopped off with a pair of shears, the soundstage was behind the back wall, and the tune was virtually non-existent - all this against a WHF five-star review.

Later models (A3 and subsequent incarnations thereof) used a pair of nail scissors to cut off leading edge definition, so pace improved a little as a result. Still no tune though.

Oh and then there are the issues of bass and timing.

A Rega Mira murdered an XA2 at the same price, imho.

Steven Toy, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Lt Cdr Data

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Buddweiser - King of beers.

Prince of piss morelike!

Why anyone would drink it is beyond me - there's no discernable alcohol content in it - you might as well stick Kaliber in a sodastream 'cos it wouldn't taste any worse!

domfjbrown, Oct 23, 2003
  10. Lt Cdr Data

The Moog

Hi all,

first post here after being pointed in this direction from the HiFi Choice forum, and I was just wondering why there seems to be so much vitriol poured in the direction of MF? I understand that lots of people won't like what is often referred to as their 'house' sound and will therefore prefer other kit, but it seems to go beyond that here.

I seem to remember reading a post somewhere on here complaining about the fact that they release a new range every five minutes (alright, maybe it was every ten minutes :D ) and everything new is lauded as being so much better than whatever came before it (when in reality there may be little difference over and above the shape of the case it came in). I can see how this might become irritating, but if you have bought a product that you like, why should you be bothered that it is now not current? I think that alot of people get stuck into this cycle in hifi with all manufacturers, and despite their intelligence telling them that there is very little difference between what they currently own and the latest product, they just have to have the latest model (despite being secretly disappointed when they receive it, but still telling everyone that it is infinitely better than their old stuff). I don't think you can rubbish stuff just because you don't like the way they go about their advertising (I hate BMW ads, but they are nice enough cars), and anyway, if you have ever worked for a company that has a marketing department, you will realise that they have little to do with reality and it is their job to talk-up the most mundane of things...

When I bought my MF kit, I spent several months listening to everything that I could find within my price range (Audiolab, Rega, Roksan, Linn to name but a few) I even listened to components which I couldn't really afford just to see what else was out there (TAG and Copland) and finally settled on the MF stuff. I wasn't lead by advertising (or the colour of the LED's, although I don't see why MF get slated for this when the DAC64 has three sets of multi-coloured ones in it!) I bough it 'cos I liked it, and although I am probably ten or so product ranges behind what they now sell, I still like it :D .

I am not about to say that I thought that the Rega that I listened to sounded like someone farting the national anthem through a duvet (I didn't, just looking for a simile here) just because I didn't quite like the way it sounded though, just that their 'house' sound was not particularly to my liking.

Thoughts anyone?

The Moog

--------------------

MF X-Ray, X10-D, X-P100, Pair X-AS100's, Pair X-A200's, Wilson Benesch ACT 1's, QED Silver Spiral I/C's, Genesis Speaker Cable.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2003
    The Moog, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Ahhh - so you're the guy who won that auction :) I was going to bid there for this friend of mine in Portugal but in the end the whole cheque/edinburgh thing put me off.

I'm going instead to be picking up the A1000 that Cornflake in London are selling :p - paying just a little bit more for it than you did though :(

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Lt Cdr Data

Robbo

Data,

Let us know how you get on with the A1000. I hope you find it to your liking:NADowner:

(only joking)

Robbo, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Lt Cdr Data

Robbo

Moog,

I am glad you like your MF kit. the older stuff you have seems to find more friends around here, as it is has more life than the newer stuff. Its the terminally dull trivistas and A308's with the choke regulated power supplies that people really dont like (with good reason, I might add).

Robbo, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Lt Cdr Data

The Moog

Hi Robbo,

yeah, I can agree with that. I found the A3 and the A308 kit a little bland for my personal tastes (not heard the trivistas), but that is just me. I'm sure some people out there like it. But I certainly wouldn't rubbish it just 'cos it's not to my liking...

The Moog

The Moog, Oct 24, 2003
  15. Lt Cdr Data

Steven Toy

I suppose it gets rubbished because of the hype surrounding what is essentialy a dull-sounding product, imho.

Steven Toy, Oct 24, 2003
  16. Lt Cdr Data

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi moog and welcome :D

You'll see a few names popping up and getting the once/twice/thrice... over. Naim, mana etc.... It seems MF are where the jibes are aimed when a mutual target is required.

Kids eh?

MO!, Oct 24, 2003
  17. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

yep.,..that was me..I thought it would go for a good price as no foto, usually a good sign if your buying, as you get it cheaper...been after one of these for a while, but don't know how it will be...its 'early' mf, and a tim de parvicini circuit, so should be a little different to their later stuff. I probably won't take to it, but it was a good price. Keep you posted re. how I find it.
    not sending a cheque to edinburgh hotel with no foto.

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 25, 2003
  18. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Went and heard the A1000 today. See my last post on the "Musical Fidelity A1000" thread. I think you might well take to it ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 25, 2003
  19. Lt Cdr Data

Joolsburger

I don't believe it, I broke my cardinal ebay rule and sent my LS3/5as to a bloke in Perth Australia, under duress I might add as I really couldn't be bothered but he persuaded me all would be well.

Now he's claiming the (obsolete, hard to find) tweeter is blown and what am I going to do about it.

I know they were fine when they left as I was using them the night before, glad I insured them, it can be Parcel Farces problem.

I am pretty convinced he's trying it on for a discount.

Bah.

Joolsburger, Oct 27, 2003
  20. Lt Cdr Data

penance Arrogant Cock

familiar.......

penance, Oct 27, 2003
Ask a Question