I love this new building

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Sep 29, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just took this the other day its not the best view of it but its the only picture I had which shows the scale of it

[​IMG]

Its already the tallest building in the UK outside of London and its still not even up yet. It will be 561ft when its completed.

If that wasn't enough work has just started on another building in the other side of Manchester city centre called Incaty which will be even taller.

[​IMG]

So come on Birmingham do somthing about it :D Although Manchester has had the tallest building outside London with the CIS which is 2/3 the height of the Beetham.

I think there is somthing amazing about tall buildings.

amazingtrade, Sep 29, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Heavymental

Hmm a real work of art!

Heavymental, Sep 29, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Hey - I went past that on the way to Manchester Piccadilly on the way home from Liverpool last weekend :) Last time I went past (about 4 months ago) it was a lot shorter, and I've seen it in stages from around 15 storeys.

domfjbrown, Sep 30, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

I've a friend who was one of the architects on that project as well as much of the other stuff going up around Manchester, towers are definitely the future. Manchester and Liverpool are going gung ho for the modern city look.
    Mind you I went to KL this summer and Petronas Towers make that one look like a pimple!

lordsummit, Sep 30, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

From the picture above it looks like it will be just another non-descript glass, metal and concrete box. When I googled it I found some pictures that show what it will look like and it does look quite interesting.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 30, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Ian Simpson is the big architect behind much of Manchesters revival. He's given us this:

[​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

lordsummit, Sep 30, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

I think the shambles is great, its amazing how the old and new work so well together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Urbis is a stunning building you can get some great pictures of it as each angle looks so different.

Ian Simpson is pretty well kown now, he just needs to watch he dosn't become as hated as the person who designed the Arndale tower :)

amazingtrade, Sep 30, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

T-bone Sanchez

The city centre has never really looked back since the bomb. I do feel that its almost like a curtain hiding the real manchester behind it that seems to be totally devoid of investment.

T-bone Sanchez, Sep 30, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

It depends where you go, certainly in South Manchester everythings booming, house prices are going up, new bars and restuarants are opening all the time.

Also East Manchester has been completly regenerated as well as Moss Side and Hulme. I think its only really places like Blackley and Wyhtenshawe that really need a lot of investment now.

Salford is also a dump but thats not Manchester its a different city.

10. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

I didn't think it was anymore? I thought it became a borough of manc a few years ago?

Anex, Sep 30, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Its a separete city but it is in the county of Greater Manchester.

Manchester, Salford, Rochdale, Wigan, Trafford, Bolton, Stockport, Oldham, Tameside and Bury are all towns/cities/boroughs within Greater Manchester.

So Salford is a city in its own right that is in Greater Manchester.

Its like London, Westminster is a city within Greater London.

Salford became apart of Greater Manchester in 1974. Before then it was in Lancashire like Manchester, Bolton, Oldham, Wigan, Rochdale, Bury etc. Where Stockport and parts of Trafford and Tameside were in Cheshire.

12. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

The people of Rochdale, Bury and I dare say Oldham don't consider ourselves Manchester, we're Lancashire. Greater Manchester doesn't exist as far as we're concerned. No-one I know writes Gtr Manchester on letters!

lordsummit, Sep 30, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

But you're all happy to be Manchester when it suits you like getting business is to invest there. Stockport for example likes to think they are Cheshire but they are more than happy to be Manchester when it comes to office space.

You have the same transport system (GMPTE), the same poilice force, (GMP) and the same fire service (Greater Manchester County Fire Service).

I love being a pendatic twat so if I am writing a letter to Sale or Stockport I stick Greater Manchester on it rather than Cheshire :D

This reminds of an old debate about Salford where people from Salford insisted they lived in a seperate city, but they never stopped to wonder why their buses had Manchester written all over them and they never seem to realise they have to go to Manchester for a proper night out.

I have a theory though, if you call Town Manchester then you're manc, if you call town somthing like Rochdale then you're not. Most people I know who live in Stockport for example are refering tpo Manchester when they say "go in to town".

14. amazingtrade

T-bone Sanchez

[You have the same transport system (GMPTE), the same poilice force, (GMP) and the same fire service (Greater Manchester County Fire Service).

[/QUOTE]

Unlucky!!

Bolton & Bury make a point of calling themselves Lancashire. There is a seriousness to this; Since Southport, Ormskirk, Mawdelsley and the like were reclassed as Mersyside the bills for the residents shot up! Insurance has been especially hit since a change of postcode.

I for one, would gladly swap Burnley for any of the former Lancashire towns.

T-bone Sanchez, Sep 30, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

We get next to bugger all from Greater Manchester, the metro's gone, the trains stop at 10.50 on a saturday night, investment don't make me laugh! I work in Trafford, and despite being part of 'Greater Manchester' we have none of the money coming in that Manchester schools have. Public transport is rubbish in rochdale. I'd happily be Lancashire not Gtr Manchester. The only good thing that comes from Manchester is City!

lordsummit, Sep 30, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

I would have thought Lancashire has even less money though. As for the transport well Rochadale buses are run by Firstbus which have a poor reputation.

I must admit it seems strange that some where like Wigan is in Greater Manchester since its so far out, I suppose Rochdale is too, but places like Bury, Oldham, Stockport, Trafford etc are very close to Manchester and are easily apart of the city. I.e you don't pass any country side to get to those places from Manchester.

17. amazingtrade

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Yes, it's amazing they don't fall over :lol:

technobear, Sep 30, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Isn't Greater Manchester simply a collective name for the suburbs districts and townships around the city? Furthermore, don't these districts and the city itself all lie within the boundaries of the county of Lancashire?

I always thought Greater Manchester was a political construct to provide centralised resources to those districts around the city that were too small to support their own services - Fire and Police Depts, Postal Town etc.

I suppose the acid test is which County Cricket Team you would play for if you were born in Crumpsall, Openshaw or Whalley Range. I don't recall seeing a 'Greater Manchester' in the county cricket championship ;)

The County Finder tool is quite useful for clearing up any ambiguity. :)

Hex Spurt, Oct 2, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm sure you're rignt Hex. Best of all, I'm in Lancs, not smelly Manchester!

lordsummit, Oct 2, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

Its still a county in its own right though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester

Lancashire does not control Bolton for example, Greater Manchester county council does.

Drive down the East Lancs and you won't see the Welcome to Lancashire sign to after you have gone through the Wigan bounderies :)

This is a bit like saying Liverpool is in Lancashire and I have not heared that been said for years. Its clearly in Merseyside.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005
    amazingtrade, Oct 2, 2005
Ask a Question