I need a new car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by batfink, Jan 12, 2005.

1. batfink

batfink

After having virtually a new engine put into my 2 year old Citroen C3 over Christmas, combined with numerous other problems, I want to get shot of it (and definitely before the warranty runs out)

- any takers????

So, I need a new car and as I'll be hitting 30 in 3 years time, thought I should go for something with a sporty edge now so I have something that's fun to drive and not just an a-to-b machine before thinking about settling down in 3 years.

Key criteria, apart from fun and reasonable performance :

- reasonable economy/comfort as I visit family in the North-East a few times per year;
    - need to get my bike in it
    - cost maximum of around £14k (doesn't have to be new)

So far I've tried the following :

Honda Civic Type-R - a bit like driving a Rocket with a Jet-pack on the back (it's just getting warmed up at 6000 revs!!). I can stomach the insurance (group 17), but apparently it eats tyres for breakfast (think £500 every 8k miles!) and being an accountant, I'm struggling to justify that cost;

Mini Cooper (Cooper S would be more fun, but can't afford one). A bit like driving a go-kart - good fun, but pricey (although BMW offered a good trade in price for my Shitroen) - could be a problem getting the bike in though (may fit if I take both wheels off, and the boot's the size of a matchbox. Mini appeals because of their TLC package (£150 for 5 years servicing incl. parts and labour) and high residuals.

So, what would you recommend that meets my criteria (Audi A3 1.8T is already on my list) ?

Cheers,
    batfink

batfink, Jan 12, 2005
  2. batfink

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Late model Mitsubishi Galant VR-4. Easily find an excellent UK supplied car for £14k. Twin turbo 2.5 V6, 286bhp. 4 wheel drive system with AYC taken from the mitsubishi EVO, but without the sadistic suspension settings. Estate is favourite, and will easily fit the bike. Looks cool, deeply understated for its performance. IG 17, ~25mpg+ on a good motorway run. Appetite for tyres depends on your driving, but it doesn't eat a single pair because of 4wd. Major cost is servicing because the AYC must be serviced every 4500 miles, at a cost of around £200 + normal service items. 0-60 ~5.5s.

Skoda Octavia vRS. 180bhp VAG 1.8T. Loads of room.

BMW 530i Touring. Get a "Sport" spec model and it will be a good drive with one of the world's fine engines, 230bhp. Loads of room for the bike and people. 0-60 7.3s, IG 17. Alternatively a slightly older 535i or 540i V8 model will be even quicker. Extreme comfort, 28mpg.

I-S, Jan 12, 2005
  3. batfink

batfink

Erm....not so sure about that cost (similar expense to Type-R tyres). Extreme performance isn't essential, only reasonable performance required (eg <9 secs 0-60).

I'll put it on the list.

I'd prefer a medium sized car rather than a monster truck (ok, I know it's spacious and nice to drive, but I don't really want anything that big.) - A 3-series could be on the cards though.

batfink, Jan 12, 2005
  4. batfink

Take a look at the 325i then. Plenty of performance with lower costs than the 330i.

Also Alfa 156 2.5 V6 Sportwagon.

If you can live with the look, there's the Lexus IS200/300 Sportcross.

A more left field suggestion is the Subaru Legacy. Much more understated and grown up than the impreza. An early new-shape (53) should just be in budget. Good handling and drive, good economy for a 2.0, cheap insurance. If you need a bit more poke, there's the 2.5. You might think it a bit big though, but good to get the bike in.

I-S, Jan 12, 2005
  5. batfink

Philip King Enlightened User

I had a the Audi A3 1.8T sport Q, nice car well built, brilliantly understated, cheap to run, big enough for all my climbing gear, tent etc for long trips to Wales. Drive is very ordinary, gear box a bit shite, my friends high mileage one is starting to fall apart.

Other car suitable was an Alfa GTV, (new model), great to look at, amazing drive, broke down more often than the image of Alfa suggests! Give up biking and take up running as that's all the boot is big enough for. Brilliant fun though.

Had the choice of any car I wanted when I moved over here and ended up with a 4 litre Jeep, worth a lot less than my system, not worried about scratches, best fun car I've ever driven after my Alfa. No longer drool after expensive cars.

Philip King, Jan 12, 2005
  6. batfink

batfink

Could be a problem - I do both (Triathlon!)

batfink, Jan 12, 2005
  7. batfink

Philip King Enlightened User

At a push you get your wetsuit and shoes in the boot, get ya lass to drive them to T1 and bike there!

What distance do you compete in?

Philip King, Jan 12, 2005
  8. batfink

batfink

Don't have one :(

What distance do you compete in?[/QUOTE]

I'm still only a beginner, so Sprint distance at the moment. Will probably move up to Oly at some point though.

batfink, Jan 12, 2005
  9. batfink

Fen Dancer Two left feet

You seem to like the civic - why not an Accord Type S? It's got reasonable grunt, very comfortable, 36 mpg, and plenty of meat left on the tyres after 20k miles. I think it's probably the same insurance group as the Civic type R

Fen Dancer, Jan 12, 2005
  10. batfink

stickman

Now that VAG have sorted the ignition coil problems with the 1.8T engines (I've had at least 4 replaced in mine), the A3 1.8T/Quattro or Golf GTi Turbo (150bhp) would be good choices.

I test drove all the decent golfs and A3s before getting my current car. The Gti turbo was a hoot to drive.

You can always get a bike-rack for the tailgate.

Drove most of the Skodas in a recent VAG visit to my place of work, when all the Skodas, Audis, Seats and VWs were available to take for a spin.
    The thing that put me off the Skodas was the fact they looked very "plastic" inside in comparison to the equivalent VW or Audi.

stickman, Jan 12, 2005
  11. batfink

batfink

I'll have a look at that one. I had also thought about the Civic Type-S, although it doesn't look as sporty as the Type-R. (I actually went in with the intention of test driving one the other day, but when the dealer offered me another test of the Type-R, it would have been rude to refuse :D )

batfink, Jan 12, 2005
  12. batfink

robs

How about an older (95,96) Scooby 4 dr (no huge wing, just a low spoiler but does still has silly holes in the bonnet :-( ). Reliable as anything if its been well looked after (mines on 140K now), quick as anything, plenty of room (get the bike in the back of mine - rear seats fold down too), comfy (if you like a firm ride), insurance not toooo bad if you stick with an unmolested UK car (at your age? £315 comp for me, but then I'm 39) but you could afford it anyway 'cos it'll be £6-7K max.
    5 door (semi estate looking things) just the same but more room ;-)

robs, Jan 12, 2005
  13. batfink

julian2002 Muper Soderator

personally i'd go for a lexus soarer or a nissan skyline and live with a bike rack if i had to.

or maybe not...

skyline estate!!!!
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 12, 2005
  14. batfink

robs

whoa...that looks interesting!!! Could get several bikes in the back (& blow away a Scooby!) and looks very civilised......but then insurance......

robs, Jan 12, 2005
  15. batfink

I-S, Jan 12, 2005
  16. batfink

I-S, Jan 12, 2005
  17. batfink

robs

Yeuch...and don't forget the insurance...

Saw a very nice AM DB9 this morning...sweet except for the number plate....'CLA5S'.....I guess they were thinking irony.....bit like sticking a box on the back of a ferrari....!

robs, Jan 12, 2005
  18. batfink

batfink

That one's just down the road from me - maybe I'll take it on a test drive :D

Ideally, I would prefer something not more that a couple of years old (need it to look reasonable against all the new Porsche's in the car park!), although if a really good deal popped up on a slightly older car then I could be interested.

What's the space like in the back of a Toyota Celica ?

batfink, Jan 13, 2005
  19. batfink

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Another vote for the hot Skoda - same engine as the VW/Audis, easily chipable to 220bhp for peanuts, you'll get a 2 year old one for £10k or less (that's what my 4wd turbo estate cost, and I can get 4 bikes in the back, or 2 with the wheels on).... The interior plastics are solid, and you know you're getting a much better deal than you would off an equivalent VW/Audi! Plus, the Skoda dealers are much cheaper for servicing, and friendlier than any other VAg ones..
    That's why they're no.2 car manufacturer (not manufacturer of no.2s!) in the JD Power survey!

leonard smalls, Jan 13, 2005
  20. batfink

johnhunt recidivist

s/h corrola t sport;cheap,reliable,practical and quick

johnhunt, Jan 13, 2005
Ask a Question