I now know why my DAC keeps losing its lock

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jul 23, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

It always happens when it switches to certain tracks on the squeezebox. Most of my music is 44 KHz, but for some reason, the odd track has been done at 48 KHz. When the SB changes to a 48 track, or indeed, back to a 44, the DAC loses its lock.

Is there any way to force the squeezebox to send everything to the DAC as 44 KHz?

PBirkett, Jul 23, 2006
  2. PBirkett

eisenach

Can't answer your question, I'm afraid, but i'd be interested in your views regarding the Squeezbox 3. I'm thinking of getting one. Is it reliable, and what's the quality of the digital output like? I'm interested mainly in its abilities to serve up streaming radio from the net.

eisenach, Jul 25, 2006
  3. PBirkett

Shuggie

I've recently bought the SB3, which is connected wirelessly. There are a few quirks with Slimserver, but once I realised that the SB must be turned on before the PC running Slimserver, all has been fine. It's good for streaming radio, although rarely of HiFi quality. I found a great plugin for BBC radio (AlienBBC), which even allows me to select BBC Listen Again programmes from the SB display. That's rather cute and a whole lot nicer than doing the same thing through the PC.

There are loads of SB users who reckon that it's better than many a high-end CD transport, sound quality wise, and I am not convinced. I have ripped my CDs onto iTunes using Apple Lossless Encoding, with error correction enabled (because I like iTunes and have no wish to use anything else). The SB3 feeds a digital input of my Lyngdorf TDA2200 amp, using a 75ohm DH Labs cable, terminated with Eichmann bullets. There is a very clear difference between the same CD played via the SB3 versus the Lyngdorf CD-1 CD player (used as a transport with sampling rate set to 44.1kHz). The Lyngdorf has air/space, a bigger soundstage, delicacy, and that "I wish to listen more" factor. The SB is not bad at all, and without comparing it directly with the CD-1, many would be happy with its sound quality. I'd say it compares well with a £200 CD or DVD player.

The SB is a really convenient way of storing and playing music, and accessing internet radio. Its good looks and these factors mean that it gets my recommendation, but against my Lyngdorf stuff, it is not even remotely in the same league in terms of sound quality or musicality.

Shuggie, Jul 25, 2006
  4. PBirkett

eisenach

Thanks, Shuggie.
    The alternative to the SB is to spend around £20 on a USB dongle giving SPDIF/Toslink digital out and run my laptop digitaly into the AV32R. Not as elegant, but far cheaper, and probably as good soundwise? I'm not really interested in surfing the net-radio, but would like access to France Musiques etc. and some of the German stations, as well as the BBC digital offerings. The laptop it is, then!

eisenach, Jul 25, 2006
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Eisenach...

I quite like the squeezebox, but for me it doesnt quite have the ultimate functionality of a soundcard type approach. For example, if I download new tracks, then I have to put them in the right folder and rescan (which can take a while) whereas with a soundcard you can play them instantly.

But I have to say generally the positives of it outweigh the negatives. It even does normalisation (i.e. on random music the volumes are roughly the same) which i was surprised about. Nice remote, nice looking, decent quality sound. As good as entry level players as standard, but I use mine with my modded MF Digilog DAC and it sounds lovely.

Now, can anyone answer the original query? :D

PBirkett, Jul 27, 2006
  6. PBirkett

andrew1810

When you copy new files into the folder, try "Browse Music Folder" instead of a rescan, this should pick them up instantly.

andrew1810, Jul 28, 2006
Ask a Question