I think hifi, true hifi is for instruments and pa/dj gear is for music

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by danworth81, Jun 20, 2010.

1. danworth81

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Fellas, I'm not saying the speakers don't have FR imbalances gross or otherwise. I'm saying in the big scheme of things, those problems are relatively benign compared to other issues with upstream components for me. YMMV of course. Personally, I'd rather have a violin that's a bit off in tonality vs out of tune or missing altogether thanks to a loss at the source.

Dave Simpson, Jun 20, 2010
  2. danworth81

cooky1257

I'm very much in favour of pro/semi pro gear as a very cost effective way to a fabulous system. Very little Foo survives the pro world and there are extremely good sounding pro units at sensible prices.

cooky1257, Jun 20, 2010
  3. danworth81

Dave Simpson Plywood King

FWIW, I did use a JVC boom box once back in seventies during an emergency that made more life-like recordings of our band than a far more expensive quarter-track R2R we had been using. Cost of the JVC was zip. We found it left behind in the back seat of a wreck my bass player's dad had in storage at his auto disposal business. So much for specs;-)

TBH, I think most pro and home gear sucks. I have very little bias when it comes to price or badge believe it or not;-)

Dave Simpson, Jun 20, 2010
  4. danworth81

Fnuckle Trade

Very little foo exists in the real world, either. Most hi-fi buyers end up with perfectly foo-free NAD or Cambridge Audio electronics, and a good pair of inexpensive floorstanders. They might get stitched up slightly with interconnects and speaker wire, but generally they spend far less than people in forums seem to believe.

It's only the nutter factions that go crazy and spend tens of thousands on stuff. The nutters would do that anyway.

Fnuckle, Jun 20, 2010
  5. danworth81

danworth81 english through n through

I have moved my speakers way apart across the room where they cannot live due to doorways etc and they sound really good now, I have bass and a soundstage again, still not great for all music mind! but I am hoping to get the Focal Solo 6 BE monitors and as they are nearfield and they will only be 4 1/2 foot apart (either side of fireplace) and I will only be appox 6-7 foot away I think they will be ideal and I do really like the semi pro gear too!

I may not be classed as an audiophile as such but feel I should get some credit for working so hard toi achieve the ultimate goal of good music reproduction and if that means getting active monitors due to space or a donkey playing a cello or whatever other unorthodox route for obtaining the best sound possible within budget and living circumstances and not stopping until u get to that point, then u must be a real music lover hey!? :)

danworth81, Jun 20, 2010
  6. danworth81

cooky1257

I strongly suspect you are having a bit of a laugh but hey if it floats your boat and you are happy, go for it fella.
    Those Focals are good midfield monitors-you could get away with 5ft-8ft apart if you wish.

cooky1257, Jun 20, 2010
  7. danworth81

RobHolt Moderator

I always thought the best place for Focals was to place them outside the room....

:duck:

RobHolt, Jun 20, 2010
  8. danworth81

Ok then well this may be progressing a bit further from the original thread but if I was to go down the routew of actives would u have any suggestions and why would u snub the focals? Have u heard active ones cos I know the passives are a sod to get right with gear.

@Cooky dont understand why u think Im having a laugh....kI am a little dissapointed I have not got enough width to use the Ruarks the way they need to in order to sound right, so it looks like nearfields are the only option I have.....!

danworth81, Jun 20, 2010
  9. danworth81

cooky1257

The reason I suspected leg pulling was because throughout another thread you are a full on committed audiophile-I thought you were a dealer tbh.Now this, actives/semi pro/pa; it's a sensation!

cooky1257, Jun 20, 2010
  10. danworth81

No Im not a dealer??
    (maybe u saw I had been selling a few bits on the wam and here in the trade section? As it was for a mate and he had...well has still got a tonne of stuff and it wasnt my personal gear then it was best put in that section)

I am an audiophile as far as Im concerned but Im sure others may disagree with that statement as I am thinking about progressing into actives, the main reason which u probably gathered is due to lack of able space to be able to create a good soundstage in my living room.

If I wanted to stick with hifi I would have to move the speakers apart from their standard position into an awkward part of the room that would only be a feasable idea if it was just me home and to be honest I would get bored of doing that and just sit at my desk and listen to my KRK's.

danworth81, Jun 20, 2010
  11. danworth81

RobHolt Moderator

That was just me being silly - sorry.
    It's just that the Focals I've heard have always left me cold. No scale, no ebb and flow, no grace. Only heard passives though.

Depending on budget if you want to try actives I'd try:

AVI ADM9 (Oh god the forum alarm has gone off...).
    About a grand for an active two way with built in pre and dac. Quite liked them when I heard them. Listen with an open mind and whatever you do don't Google them!

PMC AML2 - or the AML1 if you can get them.
    About £3k IIRC but a superb speaker and a lot of Byrston amplification included.
    Very truthful studio monitor.

Various active Tannoy DC models. Span all prices and must be worth trying as they aren't known to produce duds.

RobHolt, Jun 20, 2010
  12. danworth81

No worries Rob! :) Thanks for the tips too I do value ur opinion.....a bit! lol!

Looks like my list is getting longer..........

If anyone else wants to chip in a few ideas on actives, I will check them out but they need to be asthetically pleasing also as they are for a living space and there is no way I am getting relegated to a seperate room!

On another note my misses loves the Ruarks, I think its more the colour so she is having them in her room now with a Teac reference seperates system on the way for them in gold and a nice red cherry and gold rack to match, so shes happy.
    I just pray its not one of those times where u just whack something together for someone and it sounds better than urs.......bless her :)

danworth81, Jun 21, 2010
  13. danworth81

UK Duty Paid

PA speakers I've heard & felt that have impressed me are Nexo

If you go to Crete look up Star Beach Water Park the arrays they have there could be classed as WMD's

UK Duty Paid, Jun 21, 2010
  14. danworth81

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Danworth - I use Studio/PA equipment in my setup, and can't go back to ''audiophile'' speakers now. They look like inexpensive drive units inside little MDF boxes to me now. Which they are of course.

Tannoy DMT can be had for not much second hand and are a bargain.

Tannoy GRF corner horns here on ebay for 3k if you want more - the last speaker you would ever need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tannoy-corner...omeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item335c755b05

bottleneck, Jun 21, 2010
  15. danworth81

Whats WMD's

danworth81, Jun 21, 2010
  16. danworth81

Excellent someone else with the same thoughts as me!
    I'll have a look at the Tannoys cheers :)

danworth81, Jun 21, 2010
  17. danworth81

UK Duty Paid

weapons of mass destruction

UK Duty Paid, Jun 21, 2010
  18. danworth81

Of coure! Duurrr!
    I was thinking along the lines of hifi

danworth81, Jun 21, 2010
Ask a Question