I want a cartridge with more PRaT

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Donut, May 11, 2004.

1. Donut

Donut

After playing with an AR turntable form the past couple of weeks I realised that my beloved Project RPM6 is currently nice an analytical but could be more musical. As such I've decided to sell the AR (see classified) and raise some money for a new cartridge for the RPM6.

I know many think I should keep the AR and sell the RPM6 but I think it is worth giving the Project another chance.

So I'm thinking of a Dynavector DV-10x4 at £250. What do you think? I don't know how easy it is to audition cartridges - especially where I live - but a couple of dealers have recommended this model as being very musical. Also, if this is the right choice (or A right choice!) where is the cheapest place to get one?

Cheers
    Donut

Donut, May 11, 2004
  2. Donut

sideshowbob Trisha

Depends what you mean by PRaT (when you scratch the surface, nobody ever seems to mean quite the same thing by it), what your phono stage is, how good your arm is, etc etc...

I don't rate the more expensive Project decks much, but that's just my opinion. If it was me, I'd sell both the AR and the Project and buy something like a Rega P25, which has an excellent arm and is all-round much more fun to listen to.

What's your current cart btw?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 11, 2004
  3. Donut

Donut

Currently using an Ortofon MC15 II super which I'm sure is not helping. Nice and clean sounding with everythin in the right place but just doesn't seem to do it for me with the RPM6.

I had considered getting rid of both decks and getting something else - what about the Basic Nottingham deck (is it the Horizon)? But would prefer to have a go with the RPM6 first.

Donut

Donut, May 11, 2004
  4. Donut

sideshowbob Trisha

I've heard the Horizon a couple of times at shows and it sounded (and looked) very good. Comes with an RB250 as standard. The P25 has a better arm (RB600) and is cheaper (now it's out of production, ex-dem they can be picked up for £400 or so).

The flat earth budget MC of choice seems to be the Denon DL103, which can be had for around £90, and is, apparently, very good. Never heard one, so can't comment.

I used to have a Dynavector 20X-L, which I upgraded to an Ortofon Rohmann. In retrospect, it was pretty bright and thin (in comparison to the Rohmann, at least, an unfair comparison given the price difference).

BTW, don't buy a cart in the UK unless you like getting ripped off. Have a look at the prices here for an illustration of what you can get for your money if you buy from Germany (no import duties either, as it's in the EU):

http://www.phonophono.de/html/katalog1.html

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 11, 2004
  5. Donut

Donut

Thanks for the replies Ian.

I really don't know what to do now. I certainly don't want "bright" so maybe the DV-10x40 is not for me! I have read a few reviews of the RPM6 with the Ortofon MC25FL attached which seemed to work well - but so much of this is down to the auditioners personal preferences. I like the overall tonal balance of the MC15IIs but want more "music" - hence PRaT

Those German prices certainly look good. I've been quote £300 for an MC25FL in the UK (Henley Designs) (£279 exchange with the MC15IIs:mad: ) but the German site has the MC25FL for 295 euros!

I have seen an ex-dem P25 with super Elys for £499 but don't know whether the art will suit my tastes - I guess it depends what I'm likely to get for the RPM6/MC15

I know the mag reviews can be dodgy at times by HFC really liked the RPM6 (mine is the SB version by the way) - but I can't work out what cart they auditioned with.

Help!
    Donut

Donut, May 11, 2004
  6. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

I have both a dynavector 10x4 II for sale and a 1 hr use denon 103, more flabby but a superb overall listen, makes a rohmann redundant for 1/10 of cost IMHO.

Best for prat IMO is ortofon mc15, really fast and tight. Naim of cartridges without a doubt,

sumiko bps a bit warm and soft.

Lt Cdr Data, May 11, 2004
  7. Donut

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I agree with Ian. I would look at selling both the turntables & buy a better one. This should go towards what you are after sonically.

I have owned a MC25FL. This is a good cartridge but it did improve when placed in a better turntable & arm combo. But it was no match for the the more expensive cartridges it was compared against (Rohmamn & Jubilee).

Have a look at the Nottingham Analogue Horizon at £528.75. I too have heard this sounding good at shows. This price includes the Rega RB250 arm. This is a good starting point for a new deck.

http://www.walrus.co.uk/vinyl/horizon.htm

Or you could look at 2nd hand decks such as the Roksan Xerses, Linn Lp12, etc.

The downside in trying cartridges is getting dems of them. More likely with high end items. I do agree with Ian about buying abroad as the prices are so much cheaper. Changing just the cartridge may or may not get you what you want.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 11, 2004
  8. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hiya,

A better TT - I think so too. I ran an MC15 super II with a gyro and rate it highly. The phono stage is key too. Dont know which one you have, sorry. Phono stages are a revelation once you get 200 quid plus.

With a good phono stage and deck, the upgrade from MC15 super II to Ortofohn Kontrapunkt wasnt huge in my case. For those reasons, Id agree with Ian and Dean

If youre lookng at Nottingham decks, Id go for a second hand Interspace over the Horizon. The Interspace is the same design as the more expensive spacedecks/hyperspace/dais etc - but thinned down to budget. Can be had used around 500 ish. Its been around a while too, so youre more likely to see a second hand one.

A Kuzma Stabi/Stogi S would be my second hand deck of choice in the 500-700 stakes. I nearly bought one new I like them that much. (new about 1,400)

What second hand deck to buy?? is a whole can of worms though. There are so many.

Dean has tried more of the older ones than me, so if he reckons a xerxes is where its at with the vintage stuff, I wouldnt argue.

bottleneck, May 11, 2004
  9. Donut

Donut

Thanks for the replies

I'm using a MF-LPS as my phonostage (see sig below)

Following on from Lt Cdr Datas post I had another good listen last night and as a result of setting up the RPM6 and MC15 again from scratch found that it is now greatly improved:rolleyes: It seems that VTA is really critical with the Project9 arm. The AR deck seems less fussy about setup. I tried the AR with the MC15 and although it was cleaner than the AR P77 the bass was not good. So for now I'm going to keep the RPM6 and MC15 and sell the AR/Mission with a view to looking for ex-dem/secondhand decks to use the RTPM in part ex with.

Cheers alll for your advice - but I'm now much happier with my RPM6 now that it is set up a bit better - I'm sure I can get even more out of it by using a decent support!

Donut

Donut, May 12, 2004
Ask a Question