I wonder if this is a scam

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dev, May 7, 2008.

1. Dev

la toilette Downright stupid

la toilette, May 8, 2008
  2. Dev

kmac

Dev

Since its for the wife i think she'll appreciate the Golf,notwithstanding comments about perofrmance.
    They are spacious without being large and have good build quality. The overall package is quite appealing and hard to beat.

However, I do agree that they are expensive to repair - for the diagnostic check dealers charge something like £120 ( which you can do yourself with a laptop, VAG Com software and cable). So that's £120 down the tube before you even know what's wrong with it.

If you can get a Lexus for around that money I would go for that.
    Or you can try the Audi A2 ( A3 is an expensive Golf really).

Since my wife wanted a car of a certain size (parking) and she had a Golf I did consider others but in the end couldn't find anythiing else so went for another Golf. Ticks all the boxes. And another good thing about them is jeremy clarkson doesn't like them

kmac, May 8, 2008
  3. Dev

Samantha

I disliked the Golf because of the poor build. But now you have said she liked the Laguna - different sugestions altogether. She obviously appreciated comfort and toys.

Lexus IS200SE would be just the ticket. Not huge inside, but very nice to drive and feels like quality - good solid clunk of the doors etc.

The A3 5dr is on the same floorpan as the A4/TT/Golf/Octavia etc - but they all have enough revisions to give each a seperate identity. If she likes the Golf but doesn't want plastic that will mark as you look at it and bits that will look tired after 20k miles, the Audi is nicer - expensive bills sadly.

Samantha, May 8, 2008
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Laguna was nice to drive and very comfortable but not the last word in reliability;). So, no more Renaults!:D.

Dev, May 8, 2008
  5. Dev

Dev Moderator

Dev, May 8, 2008
  6. Dev

Samantha

Actually if she liked the Laguna, but VW is a prefered make - why not the Passat? She is used to a car of that size, just about anything smaller will have a worse ride quality and the Passat is IMO streets ahead of the Golf in quality, ride, handling, even economy!

I'd still prefer the Lexus, but only if lower miles user as when I had one, I was lucky to get much more than 30mpg out of it.

Samantha, May 8, 2008
  7. Dev

Dev Moderator

Passat is her ideal car. It's roomy, comfortable and she loves it's conservative styling, if only it was a hatchback. She doesn't like estates. Typical (hard to please) woman I hear you say? :D.

Dev, May 9, 2008
  8. Dev

kmac

i thought you could get the Passat as a saloon, not just estate

kmac, May 9, 2008
  9. Dev

Samantha

It is a saloon, which I think is the issue - she wants hatchback. (Estate being the closest you get to hatch in this case)

Is the saloon a def no-no? Seats do fold and I have fitted some surprising loads in mine. (couple of bucket seats, a bonnet, an ikea cabinet suitable for storeing records)

Samantha, May 9, 2008
  10. Dev

Dev Moderator

We went around to see this car. Turned out to be a complete waste of time. The car wasn't at the site advertised, so we were asked to go to another site which was unmanned, so a complete waste of 2-3 hours. To cap it all the dealer was rude and in the "showroom" the car was advertised at £5995, £500 more than on their web site.

Buy with confidence from this ******:grrr:.

Anyway, after seeing a few my wife said a definite no to Golf and other small hatches. The car she liked best is the Passat, but it's not a hatchback. So now I'm trying to persuade her to look at a Skoda Octavia;).

Dev, May 10, 2008
Ask a Question