ICEpower amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HenryT, Feb 15, 2005.

1. HenryT

HenryT

IIRC, reference has been made before on this forum to amps based on the ICEpower switching amp modules (which were original designed by B&O).

Just wanted to canvas some opinions on this technology, especially as it's a competitor to the now more common place class D and Tripath class T designs, it's proponents claiming better than class D / class T performance and significant claims for much better to immunity to mains and input power supply impurity issues.

A company called Acoustic Reality are marketing some power amps based on the ICEpower technology and selling factory direct. The prices appear to be very reasonable in relative terms:

http://www.acoustic-reality.com/

Anyone for some 1kw monos? :D Or maybe even an amp directly driven from a USB audio output from your PC?

HenryT, Feb 15, 2005
  2. HenryT

Sgt Rock

The pre looks a little odd !

Sgt Rock, Feb 15, 2005
  3. HenryT

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Hi Henry,

Have a look around THIS forum for more info on sound quality etc,

Regards

Chea Johndle, Feb 16, 2005
  4. HenryT

Ken

HenryT,

Use the link provided by Chea Johndle, then search for ICE or H2O.

You will also find some information on 'Acoustic Reality', not all of it good, but you will have to make up your own mind about Acoustic Reality as a product and a company.

Also search for PS Audio HCA2 or HCA-2

There are some very knowledgable opinions from posters such as Graz, Henry Ho, Joseph and Jeff.

The ICE debate has been running for around 12 months, Graz has been evaluating for nearly 2 years.

Whilst you are over there, look up (and buy) a pair of 'Perigee Definitives' from Graz, then you simply have 'no more worries' that is if you have a room large enough.

Ken

Ken, Feb 16, 2005
  5. HenryT

HenryT

Andy - Yes, indeed the pre does look a little odd. I'm a bit non plused about the life style aesethics, as long as it sound it as all I'm concerned about though. :)

JC & Ken - Thanks for the link, will have a look around there shortly. Not surprising that the Apogee owners on the forum have an interest in these amps :D , what with their high watts output and claim of driving 0.2ohm loads!

The Perigee Definitives sound interesting, I'm sure there's an interesting price tag to match too. I'm totally guessing as I haven't looked into the details, that these are supposed to be the statement cost no object speakers that Perigee wanted to build all along since they launched the FK1's.

HenryT, Feb 16, 2005
  6. HenryT

julian2002 Muper Soderator

must say i'm mighty tempted to just go completely naimless and get a pair of the 500 wpc jobbies but it seems excessive for what i need.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 16, 2005
  7. HenryT

Daneel Katie Homles' sex slave

I am slightly confused by the Acoustic Reality website.

On the main page, power amps of stereo 200wpc, mono 500wpc and 1000wpc are shown. However if I go into the products section I see specs. for the eAR One Plus and eAR Two Plus with different power levels and no prices for them.

Is the 202 the same as the eAR Two Plus? I'm guessing not...

Daneel, Feb 22, 2005
  8. HenryT

HenryT

The prices and amps featured on the front page would appear to be the newly introduced models, where as the amps detailed in the product section are the existing (soon to be replaced versions?).

They did change the front page after I originally started this thread. Agreed it is confusing, I think they must have half started to update the site and they didn't finish. :)

HenryT, Feb 22, 2005
Ask a Question