Ideas oh wise ones

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, May 20, 2004.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I've been thinking and as we all know upgraditis is terminal or at least in my case tinkering is. I wouldn't mind adding a little more sophistication to my system which is currently basically a P3 with an Ort. MC3 on it, a Rotel RCD 991, Kef Q35.2 speakers and a Linn Intek. Personally I'm least happy with the Linn. With the right stuff it sounds fab, with the wrong it can be very harsh, and it can be hard when it is cranked up.
    I want to retain a built in phono stage, and will get about £200 for the Linn. I might put in another 1 to 2 hundred, so what should I look for? I was wondering about Audiolab. Any other ideas. I might consider bottles if they would work with everything else.
    Thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom and patience.

lordsummit, May 20, 2004
  2. lordsummit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

There are far wiser ones than myself around here, so I can be ignored with impunity :D

I'm running a Densen Beat B100 into Q55.2s - model up from yours, but very similar characterwise - and am very pleased with the result, certainly not harsh or hard but plenty fast and fun. Think its about 650 new and another 150 for the phono stage, but you might be able to pick one up secondhand for your money. That said I've not often seen one second hand.

Uncle Ants, May 20, 2004
  3. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Interesting idea, I'd thought of Naim as well, possibly a better Linn. I do like mine, but it does get a little hard at louder volumes. Perhaps I listen too loud

lordsummit, May 20, 2004
  4. lordsummit

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I paid 325 quid inc postage for my Beat 100 second hand from an ad on hififorsale.com. Mine is an early one, a Mk 1 I think (at the time I didn't even realise there were different versions!), but it is still a fabulous amp for the cash spent. I've got the Beat sitting between a very good front end (Spacedeck/arm / 103 / Microgroove) and a very good pair of speakers (Harbeth C7ES) and it doesn't give the impression of being way out of its depth. It's a great amp.

Tony.

TonyL, May 20, 2004
  5. lordsummit

Lt Cdr Data om

Ok so you need an excellent integrated with a built in phono stage.

there aren't many around, I don' t know any valves that have this.

WRT transistors, again, buy very carefully, audiolab has an excellent reputation, no direct xp myself, can't really go wrong with them, naim obviously good, too.

These are the kinds of calibers you must seek, perhaps a
    puccini se mark 1 (non remote), try one, they always sell again if you don't like, very refined.

Maybe its the speakers??

Lt Cdr Data, May 21, 2004
  6. lordsummit

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sonneteer and lfd are purported to be pretty good too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 21, 2004
Ask a Question