I'm now balanced ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

Have just had my Dax Decade upgraded with to balanced output (with Black Gates throughout) in order to take full advantage of the bridged switching amp that is the Bel Canto Evo4.

I was advised that there is a burn-in of 30 hours or more, and certainly when I had the BGs fitted to my single-ended some while back it was at least that, but Alanbeeb and have just been having a listen, and the upgrade's a winner!!!

very realistic with all types of music: from Miles Davis, to Borodin Quartet, Mahler, to John Martyn and Dick Gaughan.

ditton, Feb 23, 2006
  2. ditton

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Good move Dittion, the b/c really excells when driven direct.

wadia-miester, Feb 23, 2006
  3. ditton

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Quick note.... the difference brought on by going balanced in Ditto's system is as clear as day. Just had a very enjoyable listening session over there, could almost feel the weave on Dick Gaughan's jumper.

alanbeeb, Feb 23, 2006
  4. ditton

Godfather

Congrats! My nearly new Evo 6 has just landed so I'm letting it warm up for a full day before doing any serious listening. The voltage conversion took less than 5 minutes, just had to flick an internal switch and plug 2 cables to the 240V sockets. First impressions are favourable but I know it should sound much better. I'm running it in balanced mono mode, with a Cardas GR PC and interconnects. I've noticed some hiss through the speakers though, noisier than my Bryston. Is that normal?

Godfather, Feb 25, 2006
  5. ditton

ditton happy old soul

So, I take it that you will run this is bridged mode, giving you three bridged channels - one for centre I would guess.

funny you should mention hiss through the speakers, as that's what I get, and still wonder whether its normal.

you mention your choice of interconnects. Alanbeeb has kindly lent me a pair of Nordost Red Dawn XLRs, but I only possess RCAs. I've been using the AudioSynthesis SilverBlue RCA, and may order an XLR pair, although if anyone has a bargain s/h pair of something about their person, I may well be interested.

edit:
    btw, will you be driving the evo direct from the DaxD? you should try that in balanced mode, its v.good

ditton, Feb 25, 2006
  6. ditton

Godfather

That's right, I'm going to run 3 bridged channels for the fronts, and use an unbridged Evo 2 for the rears.

The hiss is only audible from within 1 foot of the tweeter, so I guess it's no big deal but the fact remains that the Bryston is quieter i.e. almost silent.

I'm running the DAX balanced out into my Proceed AVP2, then balanced to the Evo. Will be trying direct as well.

I've a spare 1m XLR pair of Silver Blue. PM me if you're interested. :)

Godfather, Feb 25, 2006
Ask a Question