Importing Audio Equipment From Japan

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scott_01, Feb 9, 2008.

1. scott_01

scott_01

Has anyone here any experience of importing Japanese HiFi equipment into the UK for personal use? I am particularly interested in Accuphase.

If this has been done how have you overcome the 100v / 240v problem? By using a step up transformer or by getting the product internally altered professionally?

A further question which I will ask accuphase directly too is:

Does anyone know if they will perform the voltage conversion at their factory on second hand equipment?

I know that pre 2002 / 2003 their products came with multi tap transformers but don't know what the score is now.

Any input from those with experience would be appreciated I won't be able to respond to anything for a while after tomorrow morning as I will be away with work but I'll check ASAP.

I appreciate that there are issues with dealer support and supporting UK based dealers etc etc but I am not too concerned about that TBH. I would only purchase from an established dealer such as Audio Union or HiFi Do

Thanks

scott_01, Feb 9, 2008
  2. scott_01

Stereo Mic

Accuphase a very protective. If they can establish that their units have been used outside of the intended territory then they won't touch them - ever.

Modern Accuphase is very difficult to voltage change so you would need to go down the step down route. No big issue and the stuff is built like a tank so should last years. It's just you have zero co operation from Accuphase.

Stereo Mic, Feb 9, 2008
  3. scott_01

scott_01

Thanks Mic I was hoping you'd see this as you seem to have bought a fair bit of kit from Japan.

Any particular transformers you (or anyone else) could recommend? It wouldn't be a drama housing it somewhere a few meters from the kit but any undue hum / heat / noise would be good to avoid.

scott_01, Feb 9, 2008
  4. scott_01

Baudrillard

Baudrillard, Feb 9, 2008
  5. scott_01

Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic, Feb 9, 2008
  6. scott_01

scott_01

I'm thinking of a big integrated E-408 / 450 or possibly the E-530. I'd love the class A but I think my revels (M22 Performa's) need some power and I'm not sure how the E-530 would work, although I assume that the 30w class A has grunt that belies it's wattage. Accuphase helpfully put the power consumption of their units on the website too.

I don't really want to change my speakers at this point, they are good in my room but would if there are some that work particularly well with Accuphase. Longer term I think I'll try and pick up a pair of Gem 2s from the states.

scott_01, Feb 9, 2008
Ask a Question