IMPULSE MOSKITO turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DigDatRidim, Oct 3, 2008.

1. DigDatRidim

DigDatRidim

Does anybody out there know anything about this turntable? Just picked one up as an 'impulse' buy on ebay, as the price seemed mighty low for what looks like a nice item, what with it's solid cherry wood plinth & curved lid.

The only link I've found on it is where it was used to audition a pair of £4000 monoblocks, for which I can't imagine a piece of junk would be used. If anyone can enlighten me it'd be much appreciated.

http://audio-temptation.info/gallery_/Pages/impulse_moskito.html

DigDatRidim, Oct 3, 2008
  2. DigDatRidim

Colin2040

I seem to remember this being reviewed in Hifi World or Hifi News some years ago? Probably 5/6 at least. Maybe wrong !?

Colin2040, Oct 3, 2008
  3. DigDatRidim

darrylfunk

i think it was tricked up rega bearing and arm with a deflex platter and arm mount in a solid wood plinth the review in a mag was mixed ......

whats it sound like ?

darrylfunk, Oct 3, 2008
  4. DigDatRidim

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

It was reviewed in the 90s by HiFI News. It gave it an ok review. I should have a copy of the review somewhere.

Impulse were a company that made horn loaded speakers. Brian Taylor owned the company. He also designed the range of speakers. I understand that he sold the company in the late 80s/early 90s but still did the design work. They produced the deck and some non horn loaded speakers. The company seemed to disappear around the mid 90s.

I do remember seeing one at a show many years ago.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 3, 2008
  5. DigDatRidim

DigDatRidim

Thanks for the info. I haven't got it yet, but it set me back all of £51. I've got a Systemdek IIX900 & was just curious as to whether this will be a step up or just pass it on to my sis. rather than bothering to take the arm off the 900 to find out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
    DigDatRidim, Oct 3, 2008
  6. DigDatRidim

murray johnson

I'd guess that the IIx will be in a class above this design which looks more Rega2 or 3 like in terms of its material content.

murray johnson, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question