In need of surge protection.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wolfgang, Feb 28, 2005.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang

It would be save to assumed most people here have their computer/laptop connected to some sort of surge protector. During the weekend I decided to find out more about surge protectors and educate myself by starting with the basic as found in Howstuffworks.com, which makes me wonder how important is it when it comes to protecting the rest of the hifi toys?

Belkin seems to be an extremely well know brand for consumers computer surge protector. Reading their website it seem they have recently produce some toys rebranded as PureAV. They appear to be specificly for hifi/AV and related to some of the mains grumlins. Is these stuffs beneficial or just feeding into the market known as audiophiles' nervosa?

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV.process?Section_Id=202430
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=201705

Not sure if all these toys are available to UK/EEC yet but this one, available via Amazon, below looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...29759/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/202-7893236-3542261

It even comes with a sale pitch that it might improves sound qualityand picture by isolating EMI and RFI contamination. Hmmm....

wolfgang, Feb 28, 2005
  2. wolfgang

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Do it properly and get an Olson Datashield protector. Same as the Sound Fantastic range, but not painted black and consequently cheaper. Surge protection, RF filtering, solid build.

I-S, Mar 1, 2005
  3. wolfgang

BlueMax

Anything more in these things other than few X and Y caps for filtering and a Varistor or two for surge protection?

Second diagram in this TNT article by Thorsten might be of interest
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/mains_e.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005
    BlueMax, Mar 1, 2005
  4. wolfgang

wolfgang

Thanks for these alternative. Bluemax, since the discussion on that TNT article I have loose faith in the credibility of the author. Never the less do you not think these products price are reasonable compare to say branded cables? I am sure in your eyes once you know what were required to put together a working CD player all those £1000-5000 machines are just as uncomprehensible over price too.

wolfgang, Mar 1, 2005
  5. wolfgang

Donut

I bought a couple of cheap (£10-£15) 4 socket Belkin extensions from Staples - seem OK - don't know if they affect the sound or not - just needed the extra power points and these had the extra protection - also one has a coax aerial input so helps protect the tuner.
    Donut

Donut, Mar 1, 2005
  6. wolfgang

penance Arrogant Cock

with some, yes

penance, Mar 1, 2005
  7. wolfgang

Mr_Sukebe

I got the impression that surge protectors are generally very bad news for stereo kit.
    Having said that, I do use a UPS to power my LCD projector. Protecting it from a loss of power will hopefully allow a controlled power down, as against the requirement for a replacement bulb. As bulbs cost roughly four times the amount I paid for the UPS, seems like a good move.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 1, 2005
  8. wolfgang

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Virtualy every projector I installed/used has benefitted from some form of mains treatment even a certain £8K all singing and dancing machine which is 'Impervious' to any mains transients and spikes :D Experimentation is the key here, as some projectors use really cheap and nasty smps that have an adverse effect on adjascent equipment. Wm

wadia-miester, Mar 1, 2005
  9. wolfgang

BlueMax

Like to know more about this discussion?
    Got a link?

Parallel Shunt filters have been around for a long time. There is another one at
    http://www.triode-systems.com/diy_filter_parallel.htm
    This one is a difficult fit inside a mains plug but can be fitted inside a wall wart type box from Maplins or Rapid Electronics.
    The Belkin item from Amazon that you posted looks interesting. Belkin is a well known company and the price is fair compared to 'hi-fi' products with 'hi-fi price tags'.
    Wish it had a metal case for shielding rather than plastic.
    Specs do not say if the filter is serial or parallel type. Some people claim that serial filters tend to squash dynamics.
    4476 Joules surge protection is impressive.

BlueMax, Mar 1, 2005
  10. wolfgang

wolfgang

I was referring to the discussion in the DIY section to his suggestion to using inappropriate cables for a main powercord previously.
    https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=7558

That Parallel Shunt filter does look very 'extremely' simple to built, if you know how to hold a welder. :cry: (Edit. Looking carefully at the photo provided it seems there is no welding required....hmmm).

As for the Belkin's version here is link to the pdf file of the manual. http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=1425&lang=1
    Does it have the answer to your question?

wolfgang, Mar 1, 2005
  11. wolfgang

penance Arrogant Cock

i have never seen anyone weld electrical connections.

penance, Mar 1, 2005
  12. wolfgang

mr cat Member of the month

13. wolfgang

wolfgang

Solder, fuse or bond? Maybe glue then?

wolfgang, Mar 1, 2005
  14. wolfgang

penance Arrogant Cock

solder:) different to welding

penance, Mar 1, 2005
  15. wolfgang

BlueMax

I am not an electrical/electronic engineer and did not know how to solder. But had a go and can now do enough for simple DIY projects. :)
    Have a read though these links:

A short introduction to soldering
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/g_knott/elect3.htm

Soldering, Basic Guide
    http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

Advice and photos in these links and a bit of practice will make you an expert.
    Triode Parallel Filter is shown in a mains plug. But specified parts wont fit in a mains plug. Best to fit them in a wall wart type box. And you can use better varistors. Little bit of soldering will be required.

BlueMax, Mar 1, 2005
  16. wolfgang

ChrisPa

No, don't lose faith in the author, he has some of the most interesting and well reasoned design concepts around.

However, you really, really must know what you are doing in terms of construction if you are going to pass mains voltages through a set of coax cables and make sure they are safely insulated. The design concept of the cable you were talking about is valid. Implementation - you'd have to be very very careful. Especially if you've had no real prior experience of electronic/electrical DIY previously.

Keep reading his articles/designs - they're always of interest :)

I found good improvements when I made a DIY mains filter/suppression block (including inductive filtering) and used DIY screened/filtered mains leads. And I think there are a few more improvements to come by adding filtering to specific additional comonents, which I haven't got round to yet.

ChrisPa, Mar 1, 2005
  17. wolfgang

Graham C

Bear in mind that surge suppressors are sacrificial devices. If a varistor handled, say 10 surges, would it be working as new? I doubt it.

I have lived in various towns around the UK and have never used surge protection, with no failures yet. Equipment should not be hypercritical of mains voltage, it's only hifi FFS..I can see an argument for cleaner mains perhaps, but I haven't sorted my 'basics' out yet.

Graham C, Mar 1, 2005
  18. wolfgang

BlueMax

A mains spike lasts for only a few nanoseconds. Each 'hit' will lessen the lifespan of the varistor until eventually it's burned out. A mains surge (longer in duration than a spike) can destroy a varistor instantly. This is why it's a good idea to use several varistors and with a higher Joule rating as possible. Three of four 140J in parallel is a good idea. This will increase the working life of each varistor. They get hot so always allow a few mm of airspace around a varistor. Only use 275VAC. Higher voltages refer to the clamping voltage – the voltage at which the varistor begins to conduct.

Testing is not easy because of the high internal resistance. Wait until it looks black!

Belkin Surgemaster models have a plug in suppressor module that is easy to replace.

What I would like know is if MOVs, X and Y caps are fail-safe devices are or if they cause a short at the end of their life :confused:

BlueMax, Mar 1, 2005
  19. wolfgang

felix part-time Horta

X and Y caps fail safe i.e open circuit - they have to, to get the rating.

Varistors usually fail short-circut, unless hit with enough energy in a spike. Then they explode in a quite spectacular manner :D

felix, Mar 1, 2005
  20. wolfgang

penance Arrogant Cock

oh dear :rolleyes:

penance, Mar 1, 2005
Ask a Question