In support of FM. Sent this email to Ofcom :)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Just thought I'd share.... probably not the most eloquent here...

Hello Peter,

just a few notes for your comment...

As someone who is seriously into hifi I would dispute the findings of your report regarding the quality of a compressed digital format like DAB versus an FM signal on a decent tuner like a magnum dynalab, revox or accuphase, or even a fifty year old Leak troughline. I have owned DAB on an expensive tuner and whilst its probably a perfect solution for people with limited budgets or not hifi savvy, I have found it to be sonically flat and uninteresting compared to the richness and depth of the FM signal. I recently sold an FM tuner for more than I paid for it. I don't need a display to tell me what tune is playing or what dj is on, I just want good music and I'm prepared to save and sacrifice to get it as are many other hifi enthusiasts. I feel that any passionate musician or radio expert would say that FM is a better quality medium. I have a glorious tuner with old school presets and DB meters, its probably 30 years old and easily betters my expensive CD player with an FM broadcast.

This country has the greatest heritage in radio, we pioneered FM with some of the best talents, I've heard that other european and further afield world countries do not have a schedule for closing down analogue signals - they are so lucky. There are scores of forums on the internet extolling the virtues of FM and equipment reviews, The hiss only comes from cheap tuners, DAB does score well on this point in terms of quality. The FM signal is great quality, the hiss comes from the appliance used. I found the number of times DAB was mentioned in the report almost a fete a complet, even the example FM Radio Station was called somewhat leadingly "Stray FM". There is a place for DAB in millions of homes where radio is simply background music or those seeking quality on sheer "bang per buck" price points. Audiophiles do not rate DAB, I can verify this with plenty of links.

You've stated that if the uptake of DAB reaches 50% you will review the future of FM, this is sadly a certainty as the new generation of radio listeners will choose DAB, people who don't know much about hifi, and since DAB is widely publicised as being the "future" and superior technology, in addition to being ported with very DAB/Digital TV package its certain that FM will not stand this onslaught. If it aint broke, don't fix it springs to mind - there is space in this country for DAB and FM . If the logic for favouring DAB is just granting commercial licenses and increasing revenue then I feel thats not a very benevolent attitude toward the FM legacy that has made radio such a great broadcast medium in this country and the envy of the world.

I urge you to reconsider and celebrate the diversity in broadcast of radio, railroading DAB seems a very harsh call. I'm listening to Radio 2 as I type, if this was DAB I'd probably be in bed by now and not writing this!

Best Regards

Chris

(I know feedback on the report has closed but felt the urge to say something)

SMEagol, Sep 18, 2007
Ask a Question