Input levels??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cyclonebri1, Dec 10, 2005.

1. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

So, just changed amp set up to Naim nac 62, Hi cap, nap 250.

My previous ones were Meridian 101B, 105,105. Now on Cd the volumn control is at 50% at enthusiastic listening levels, but over 75% on phono, previously they were very similar, the phono output being only very slighly lower than Cd. I have 2 sets of MM cards for the pre amp, 322/2's and 322/4's if I recall, both give similar levels, :confused: :confused:
    Now I am using a Goldring G1042 mm cart and plan to go for a Dynavector 10x5 high output mc. Will I run out of volumn with the DV input level???? :confused: :confused:
    Thanks. :beer: :beer: :beer:
    Bri.

cyclonebri1, Dec 10, 2005
  2. cyclonebri1

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

No you will not but you will have to get the correct phono boards.

You want the intermediate boards, or Es. Phone naim about them. An mm board will not do an MC cart any favours, even high output and of course MC boards will not give enough.

Its very normal to have to go around 20-30% further on the old knob to get the same volume for record.

You need the right boards though.

garyi, Dec 10, 2005
  3. cyclonebri1

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Hmmmmmm ;)

Chea Johndle, Dec 11, 2005
  4. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

If only :banana:
    Thanks guys, its an old preamp, d'you think any 2nd hand boards likely to be kicking around? I have got a set of 323/5k's though.
    Bri.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
    cyclonebri1, Dec 11, 2005
  5. cyclonebri1

zanash

Or pick up a decent second hand mm/mc phono stage, and take it line level into the naim. The 10x5 should be ok on the mm even a naim mm As to getting the same level you will need to attenuate the cd input again a fairly simple step of adding a couple of good resistors to the input of the amp or output of the cd. I think the 10x5 should sound great i've always liked dynavector !

zanash, Dec 12, 2005
Ask a Question