Inside the NS1000M

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Uncle Ants, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Reading the fascinating thread on upgrading the crossover on the Response 1SCs, got me to thinking about what might lurk inside the cabinets of my Yams and whether there was any worthwhile work that could be done on them. I will confess here to knowing next to nothing about such things, but know there are some smart folks here who do and thought I'd ask.

Anyway, I undid the panels with the speaker posts (now they really do look like they could be improved, even I can see that), but was a little surprised at how complex these things look next to the pics of the Response crossovers. Anyways ... pics, below. Thoughts, comments and suggestions please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uncle Ants, Jan 21, 2006
  2. Uncle Ants

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Now I can see why there were 14 nuts!

Bob McC, Jan 21, 2006
  3. Uncle Ants

Graham C

The silver,white and black things all age slowly. Replacing them is not trivial, since they would need to be size and value replacements, and they would need to be mechanically robust ie well soldered. I would suggest one of 2 options:

1] Get someone with a sig generator/ voltmeter to plot the voltage/freq across each driver before you bugger about..it's much simpler than it sounds. 10 spot freqs would do. Keep the level low so the tweeter doesnt fry. You can then work out the response of the filters. This would allow you to replace them with active should you choose [or knacker the originals]

2] Build replica filters outside - house them externally, with triwire connections to the drivers. You can then use better caps which dont age but are huge dimensions. Then swap them

Whatever you do, don't try to modify the original parts or you are in for a world of pain..

Graham C, Jan 21, 2006
  4. Uncle Ants

Paul Dimaline

Certainly the "easiest" meathod.....perhaps you could build a custom pair of stands for the speakers and hide them in there? You will need all the space you can find if you are to replace all those caps with polyproplene versions.

Paul.

Paul Dimaline, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Uncle Ants

A World of pain ... that doesn't sound good. So basically its a case of backward engineering the crossover and then rebuilding a new one with more up to date parts ... and finding a box to put it in.

Uncle Ants, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Uncle Ants

joel Shaman of Signals

I would think you could get the original xover serviced and brought back to spec if you looked around a bit.
    It's a complex, well-made xover. Don't muck about unnecessarily with it.

joel, Jan 22, 2006
  7. Uncle Ants

To be honest, I'm starting to err on the side of leave well alone (except maybe some better binding posts).

Uncle Ants, Jan 22, 2006
Ask a Question