Insuring hi-fi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Jan 17, 2012.

1. thrudge

thrudge

Not that I'm planning on breaking anything, but what advice could you chaps give me on insurance? I've got household contents cover, but if one of my speakers goes pop and it's £5k for a new pair (Klipsch La Scalas, don'tcha know) do insurers tend to laugh and hand over a £200 Argos voucher?

I'll talk directly to my insurers, of course, but the wisdom and experience of fellow gainers (or smilers, as I suppose we are now :) ) would be appreciated.

thrudge, Jan 17, 2012
  2. thrudge

RobHolt Moderator

Never made a claim, but certainly check the policy limits for individual items. You should also make sure that you photograph things in situ just in case there is a dispute over ownership.

RobHolt, Jan 17, 2012
  3. thrudge

madscientist

When I managed to break the stylus off my £500 cartridge, the insurance company replaced it like for like on the entertainment arm of the house contents insurance. Mind you it was quite funny having to explain to every person i dealt with what a cartridge/arm/TT was!! Good luck
    paul

madscientist, Jan 18, 2012
  4. thrudge

Colin2040

I advise the insurer of my hifi kit with a value.Doesnt add an awful lot to the policy only pounds as its not seen as any easier to steel than any other piece of furniture.I doubt it added any more than £15 to the policy.

Colin2040, Jan 18, 2012
Ask a Question