Integrated as Pre amp???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

I'm using my integrated amp as a pre amp to feed a power amp. For some reason it still gets really hot. Surley it would be the power amp section that causes any heat, and if there are no speakers connected shouldn't the amp run cooler?

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 25, 2005
  2. jimmymcfarrell

MartinC Trainee tea boy

That TAG pre-amp is a class A design isn't it? That would be why it gets hot still.

MartinC, Feb 25, 2005
  3. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Its a tag integrated and a power amp that Ive got. I didnt think it was class A but you're probably right, as that would make sense.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 26, 2005
  4. jimmymcfarrell

ditton happy old soul

I dont think it is Class A. The TMA thought that inefficient and went A/B.

I've just read that
    "As you may remember, most amplifiers are Class A/B. This means that there is a small amount of current running through the output stage (Class A) even when no music is playing, and at low levels of sound, this current goes to the speaker instead of being dissipated as heat. At higher sound levels, the current has to be turned on (Class B). Depending on how much of the power is in Class A vs. Class B, the amp can run hotter at idle than when the music is playing loud."

This may explain the heat!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
    ditton, Feb 26, 2005
Ask a Question