Interconnect makes Difference??!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tkyong1, Nov 15, 2005.

1. tkyong1

tkyong1

Hi guys,
    I strongly think that I should post a message this time, even the head line may seems an old story for audiophile like you guys. I have been thinking that those Interconnect / speaker cables mysteries were snake oil and how could a single 1m cable could change the sound of the whole system? It doesn't make any sense to me. Till yesterday I realised that I was Wrong, very Wrong. Here the story goes:---
    My Set-up before transformation:
    Power cord: Supra Lorad x 2
    Source: Primare D20 MKII
    Interconnect: QED Q3 Silver 30th Anniversary S.Edition (USD85)
    Amplifier: Primare I20
    Speaker Cable: QED Plus Copper Bi-wired
    Speaker: ProAc Studio 125 Floor Stander
    Room Size : H x W x L = 9' x 14' x 22'
    Speaker distance fr. back wall : 42"
    Speaker distance fr. side wall : 30"
    Speaker apart : 8'
    Listening Point : 10' fr. speakers
    Comments / Dissatisfaction:
    I believe that my set-up is consider decent and very satisfied the sounding in dealer place when I bought them. However, after installation at my listening room / living room (which showed almost perfect Golden Ratio 1:1.55:2.44, the overall sounds is decent but lacking in lower frequencies and violins sometime sounds scratching when play loud.
    Went to few hi-fi shop for opinion, most of them pointed to me that the QED interconnect might be the source of the above problems. Their views: QED is a good value cable; they are punchy, very control in low frequencies, forward which suit rock kind music well. Unfortunately, I love warm, romantic sounds. They suggested I tried different i/c see any changes.
    One of them (a very kind shop owner), keep asking me to take a Chinese DIY I/C (yes, guys, chinese DIY cable)back home and try out with no obligation. He asks me to return the cable with no charge if it sounds worse than QED Q3. For the past 2 years in audio, i never trust chinese made hifi and really doubt the quality of their stuff. But no cost involve, so i took the I/C (very well made dressing) home and swap the QED Q3 out. I really don't expect any improvement since the QED is at least a well known worldwide brand in hifi cables.
    Holy s###. I am speechless when I start playing music after the swapping. I spent 4 hours listening to the new chinese made DIY I/C and concluded the following comparison:
    Description:Chinese Original MA100 I/C(QED Q3 I/C)
    Soundstage:instruments sound bigger more real (compressed)
    Imaging: Precise (hardly locate, congested)
    Bass:mush stronger bass-double bass sound confident (very control)
    Details:heard so many extra things
    Price:USD130 not cheap for a chinese diy cable (USD85)
    Finally, the bass is back, thanks god. I heard so much more things that never heard before in the recording. I can tell which instrument is playing from the soundstage which I have difficulty to do so with the QED.
    I really need to know, how come a Chinese Made DIY I/C (Original MA100) could sound so much better than a well known QED Q3 I/C??? Doesn't make sense but it really happened!!
    Hope you guys could give you view in this.

tkyong1, Nov 15, 2005
  2. tkyong1

Garmt

Nice you now hear the advantages of good matching cables! Rest assured that the price is still very reasonable. Wait until you replace your speaker cables with something like Nordost WireWyzard Spellbinder or Flatline Gold....

Garmt, Nov 15, 2005
  3. tkyong1

shanesndsurgry releasing the music

Well it's nice to see a sober case for cables around here. I also agree with Garmt wait till you change your spkr cable.

I'm a snakeoil dealer and believe theyclearly do make differences.
    By the way my only agenda to being in here is to converse learn and meet some like minded peeps.

shanesndsurgry, Nov 15, 2005
  4. tkyong1

zanash

As I always say ....your a cable sceptic till you hear the difference a good cable will make in your system. Well done for having an open mind and being willing to try something different.

zanash, Nov 15, 2005
  5. tkyong1

LinearMan

Oh, yes, cables can make a significant difference (which is often an improvement as well!). Don't believe the cynics (but also don't spend silly money).

LinearMan, Nov 15, 2005
  6. tkyong1

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

tkyong1, Im pleased that you are happy with your system.

In terms of giving a view on how/why the cable sounds different, I'd suggest doing a few forum searches on 'cable' per se.

You will see that its a very contentious subject, and that there have been many recent discussions on the subject.

There are a variety of different views, all of which have been discussed at great length.

Rather than start the discussion all over again, you might want to spend some time in the forum archives.

Again, glad that you're happy with your system and welcome to zerogain.

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 15, 2005
Ask a Question