Interconnect options- Nordost vs Others

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mike, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Mike

Dik Dolan

They can't be gay cables. They have male plugs that will only fit in female sockets....but they do like to plug in from the back.

Dik Dolan, Oct 17, 2006
  2. Mike

unclepuncle

Meoooooooooooow:D

unclepuncle, Oct 17, 2006
  3. Mike

Dik Dolan

Agreed. So good that my brother stole the loan cable that zanash brought to me(thanks Pete), and wont let it go.... . I only heard it in my system for an hour or two, but it only needed a few seconds to hear how good it is. Needless to say, I have asked zanash to make me some=)

Dik Dolan, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Mike

mr cat Member of the month

don't be soft - simply take it back...

mr cat, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Mike

Dik Dolan

I can't it's already his... "we" are buying the loan cable, and the new ones=)....besides, he's bigger than me.

Dik Dolan, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Mike

patmarcus

i was very impressed when I heard Tony from Coherent dem his cables. If you want to stick with Nordost as a brand the Heimdals are much much better than the Baldurs but you might find them a bit bright. Its not until you get to the Tyr in Nordosts range (£1000+) that you get everything. By then you might as well have spent the money on upgrading the speakers.
    Also consider the Chord Chameleon Silver Plus which are an absolute bargain at about £99.
    The Atlas Navigator at £170 is a fine wire, too.
    Listen and if you can hear the difference.........

patmarcus, Oct 17, 2006
  7. Mike

Mike

Thanks guys! I'm from Australia btw, so some of the cable auditioning might pose a bit of a problem!!!

Yes, the speakers are not the greatest in the world. However, I have heard many priced mucho dollars above it (various Dyn's, Vandersteens, Focal's etc.) and have mostly preferred the Tannoy's. The drivers are quite good (i have taken them apart), and I think most of the cost cutting was done with the cabinet and crossover, and they can be improved.

Nevertheless, the electronics I'm hooking them up to are 3-4 times the cost of the speakers EACH, so it is a bit of a system mismatch if there ever was one. I feel they are up to showing the improvements with better downstream equipment though, and I can clearly hear the differences between cables. I think they do perform better than their price suggests.

I guess the reason I'm wanting to try some new cables is to gain an improvement without shelling out the $$$$ for new speakers that will be an improvement on what I have currently. The cdp was my first upgrade (and probably the biggest), then changing amp and now speaker cables. The speaker cables made as big if not bigger difference to the setup as changing amp to the Sugden 21SE.

Seems the best options at this stage are Au24 and Zanash's cables and I will hopefully try to arrange to have a listen to both. I will also try to get some Nordost Baldur or Heimdall in to have a listen.

Cheers,
    Mike

EDIT: I also have a pretty nice sub doing duty in my HT (an ACI Titan II LE, sealed, 12"), have tried incorporating it into the 2 channel but it never quite sounds right (I have limited positioning flexibility), and the low end of the Tannoy's is quite decent, but mroe bass never hurts :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
    Mike, Oct 17, 2006
  8. Mike

Baudrillard

Have you listened to Cawsey? I haven't but I know Walrus rate them highly and sell a pure silver one for about £250 (seems quite cheap for a pure silver cable). They are actually Australian so would imagine cheaper where you are.

Baudrillard, Oct 17, 2006
  9. Mike

Jimbo

Yes they are. Jim.

Jimbo, Oct 17, 2006
Ask a Question