Interconnect Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RDD, Jan 21, 2004.

1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

All, sorry for the newbie nature of this question but the choice is overwhelming in this price range and my head is about to explode!!

I'm basically looking for a recommendation in the £20 - £60 range of interconnects. I've been having a look around and the choice is just stupid, so any recommendations that people agree on (rare I know) in this price range? Second hand is not a problem, I'd love to give an Omega Audio a try, but sadly even the cheapest cable is out of my budget.

If my kit info would help, it will be going between a Creek OBH-11SE headphone amp and either a Marantz CD6000OSE or Micromega Stage 1 (not decided yet but more than likely my Micromega). I listen to mainly rock so a nice solid bass, crisp trebles and clear fluid mid would be nice :D

So any ideas folks?
    Cheers, Rick

RDD, Jan 21, 2004
  2. RDD

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi Rick

Yep sorry, we can't really compete down there to be honest.

However it's not a complete desert. We've played with more cables than we can count and ones from there that are definately worthy were:

Sonic link Violet (secondhand), this was 100 quid or so new, and I expect that Black Rhodium have an equivalent now also. It's often up for sale at around the 40 quid mark s/h. Infact, we might even have some surplus here still, I'll have a look. It can be a little dry though.

Cable Talk Monitor 3. Having used Cable Talk before, most of them didn't deserve a thank-you, but the Monitor 3 is a cracking cable and 18 months ago weighed in at 50 quid.

Ixos were selling off their Ixotica cable (was 300 quid new) for about 100 at the Heathrow show, as it's a long since discontinued model. Secondhand it's worth about that, and is very very good at the price, although for 300 quid personally I think we better it ;) with one of ours, and I wouldn't pay that for it!!

Good cable though, stunning for a ton, have a poke about in the stock rooms of Ixos dealers, tell them it's got to be at least about 1000 years old because you haven't heard of it for ages and see what they can do.

Cheers

timpy, Jan 21, 2004
  3. RDD

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I can vouch for QED Qunex 2 which can be had new for £30 and holds its own well above that price.

For me, the next move up from that was Van den Hul D102 mkIII. It's £80 new but they do come up second hand for around £30 - £40. I got mine second hand and I'm very happy with them.

technobear, Jan 21, 2004
  4. RDD

Paul Duerden

The original Chord Cobras is very good, not the MK2, nicely agile without being too harsh, pay around 20 quid secondhand.

Paul Duerden, Jan 21, 2004
  5. RDD

michaelab desafinado

You can get VDH D102MkIII from HiFiCables.co.uk for £60. I use it in my 2nd system, very good cable.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2004
  6. RDD

adam

You could try a second hand,if you can find, Audioquest Quartz that can go for that price,worked well with Micromega,a better choice the the Marantz IMHO,if it works well.

adam, Jan 21, 2004
  7. RDD

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'd go for the VDH The Bay C5 for around £30 from www.hificables.co.uk

This has seen off any cables I've tried including TNT X1.5, Sonic Link Violet, Ecosse Reference CA-1, Great White Shark silver cable and a few others to boot.

PBirkett, Jan 21, 2004
  8. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Thanks for the info as usual chaps, given me a few to go at there :beer:

I'll probably make myself out a list of the ones mentioned and do a bit of a VFM comparison, I'll let you know how I go on.

Cheers

RDD, Jan 22, 2004
Ask a Question