Interconnects

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Dec 17, 2003.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

tones, Dec 17, 2003
  2. tones

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

:D

bottleneck, Dec 17, 2003
  3. tones

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Hmm, seems fair. But to get meta-physical :-

'There is no reality, there is only perception'

Basically your perception is your reality, so if person A perceives an improvement then in his reality it is there. If person B does not perceive an improvement then in his reality it is not there. In absolute reality (which none of us perceives) who knows?

So the whole flaming argument is null and void because the cynic cannot penetrate (oo-er) the believers reality and the believer cannot penetrate the cynics. To continue arguing is :banghead:

stumblin, Dec 17, 2003
  4. tones

tru stumblin

A double blind test of our own would be a laugh though.

(the one we did a few years ago only went to about 50 quid p/m)

bottleneck, Dec 17, 2003
  5. tones

Entirely agree, in fact, I said something along those lines on another thread. There is no sound between the speakers and our ears, just compressions and rarefactions in the atmosphere. Sound is made in our heads, by a combination of physical and some rather involved electrochemical interactions. Thus, what we hear is coloured irrevocably by this.

I have agreed elsewhere that I may not hear differences in cables, stands, etc., because subconsciously I don't want to hear them, because my scientific background and daily work in research labs over the last 30 years makes me reject things such as bits of wire or special supports or mains cables making a major difference. I will also admit to rejecting it consciously. Of course, the reverse is just as true...

So, why am I on a hi-fi forum? 'Cos I'm daft! Also because anyone who's a complete beginner to hi-fi can come to this site and receive the impression that the way to audio Nirvana is via this or that special interconnect, or a particular equipment support, etc., etc., etc. I like to present the fact that it ain't necessarily so. Yes, another public service! Aren't I just so virtuous?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2003
    tones, Dec 17, 2003
  6. tones

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Fair enough - most of these forums are pretty much polarised.

The only advice any newbie needs (in my opinion) is 'buy with your ears'. Anyone that spends £100's on a cable because we tell him to deserves everything he get's in my opinion...

stumblin, Dec 17, 2003
  7. tones

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tones,
    you're really here because in your heart of hearts you are yearning to discover that mythical bit if 'lobster sperm' that will improve your kit for pennies. don't deny it ;) :D.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 17, 2003
  8. tones

Once upon a time, it was true, but no longer. I was a mere music lover, and tweaks seemed to offer an easy way to improvement. And, like yourself, I wouldn't dismiss them, even though my background rebelled against all the apparent hype. ANd I tried and failed every time. I never achieved the Nirvana of Mana Phase 7, because I didn't even get past Phase 1. Other supports went the same way - a good, solid shelf or bit of furniture did the trick. Interconnects went the same way. Any decent quality one sounded the same. The DeMagic brought no magic. We shall not even mention the most recent lunacy of the wooden knob, the provider of which is either clearly certifiable or the sort of guy who will also have the Golden Gate Bridge in his catalogue. I was tempted by the green pen, but I know in my heart of hearts that that won't work either, so I'll buy some more cantatas instead.

In short, hi-fi forums and what's said in them have cured me forever. Salvation is only to be found in better boxes. I'm saved, hallelujah! I'm a complete hi-fi failure, and, as Clark said to Vivienne in the last reel of "Gone with the wind"...

tones, Dec 17, 2003
  9. tones

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tones,
    you're a shining green tinged beacon to us all.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 17, 2003
  10. tones

Well, the Emerald Isle was that colour long before hi-fi was ever thought of... Now there's a thought - do CD players work better in Ireland?

tones, Dec 17, 2003
  11. tones

technobear Ursine Audiophile

They might do if you place a Blarney stone on top :D

technobear, Dec 17, 2003
  12. tones

Don't know if that's possible any more - some of the snake oil merchants appear not only to have kissed it but also to have swallowed it.

tones, Dec 17, 2003
  13. tones

PeteH Natural Blue

[just kidding mode] But all that proves is that double-blind testing isn't appropriate for hifi - he says they could all tell the difference when they knew what interconnects were going in! And anyway he said he preferred the expensive cable 7/16 times, so it made his music sound better almost half of the time, so I'm buying one [/just kidding mode] :D

Seriously though, while I'd like to accept the article at face value, it bothers me slightly how he airily says he did "double blind testing" without saying anything further about how he did it - DBT isn't the easiest thing to do properly at the best of times.

PeteH, Dec 17, 2003
  14. tones

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

OK, easy one this, fit said cables to person's system leave for 1 week, go back and replace cables that was originaly in system, watch for colapse of sound and person's face when said cable removed, if not leave quitely and accept the fact the chap hears nothing, else wait for purchase invoice to be raised.

wadia-miester, Dec 17, 2003
  15. tones

stebbo

You missing one other option

"chap doesnt hear anything, cos there is nothing to hear"!

The classic snake oil scenario

stebbo, Dec 18, 2003
  16. tones

Very Valid Stebbo, and I will agree in about 4/10 cases of listening to various cables completely, however they are a few about that may make you smile, would you like to bring your sceptisium along and test it sir?, would we appreciate your views on this, would you fancy it sir. Tone

wadia-miester, Dec 18, 2003
  17. tones

aah, WM - I dont think that would prove much - other than if the chap likes/doesnt like your cables.

A double blind test the article was correct is still the only way to achieve objectiveness - mind you - I bet no-one on this forum (me included!!) bought one single bit of hifi following a double blind test!!

I havent - what about u tones?

bottleneck, Dec 18, 2003
  18. tones

Arh, Chris, who said it was just going to ours :eek: plus Stebbo should bring his as well, It doesn't matter If stebbo likes them or not, it's the differenices that are bone of contension IE not hearing any, not waether the said piee of wireis likeable or not, nothing more. :) Tone

wadia-miester, Dec 18, 2003
  19. tones

PeteH Natural Blue

I'm sure stebbo would be the first to agree with me though that he's not necessarily any more able to make a dispassionate judgement than anyone else - everyone, like it or not, has their own pre-conceived ideas they bring to anything perceptual, and it'd inevitably be too easy for many to conclude that when stebbo hears no difference it's because he's refusing to.

Now, what would be interesting for all concerned would be if WM were to try to identify cables in a blind test run by stebbo :D I'd pay money to watch that :p

PeteH, Dec 18, 2003
  20. tones

notaclue

On the subject of cable and money, there is still, I believe, £1000 to be won for correctly identifying two 'similar' (by measurement) cables in a double blind test.

See this link on Google groups

Surely worth a try?

notaclue, Dec 18, 2003
Ask a Question