Interconnetcs (Any opinions?)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ali_x, May 3, 2008.

1. ali_x

ali_x

Im currently looking to buy a couple more pairs of interconnects...

In my experience, ive found that its best to steer clear of expensive brand names and take a chance on something else.

The interconnects im using (JAV) are 99.9something silver (or certainly should be!) and are the best ive heard, but they no longer seem to be on the market.

Ive had a quick scour of e bay and these are the interconnects im most interested in (could anyone give me any opinions on them?):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290220094875&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Looks very well made and uses pure silver.

Seller is in Taiwan, but has good feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290226517902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Uses solid core silver, but is cheaper than the other interconnect from the same seller.

Again, looks well made.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190164827505&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Uses pure solid core silver cable.

Terminated with eichmann silver bullets (are these good?).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230194129586&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

99.99% pure silver & again eichmann silver bullets.

A bit cheaper than the last one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120256011570&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Use silver core wire & don't look too bad for the price!.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
    ali_x, May 3, 2008
  2. ali_x

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

opinions are divided on interconnects and cables.

If you want some silver cables there's at least 2 people on the forum who sell them - just do a search on silver cables.

The people selling them may do money back guarantees if you ask nicely! :)

bottleneck, May 3, 2008
  3. ali_x

shrink

plenty good silver cables out there... Zanash does some good ones, my own experience tells me the missing link cables are utterly superb and worth every penny.

shrink, May 3, 2008
  4. ali_x

Bob McC living the life of Riley

AUP breach anyone?

Bob McC, May 3, 2008
  5. ali_x

Listener666

Kool

Hi new to the forum.....been lurking quite a bit (interested in the PA amp thread!)

I realise that my opinion is not really worth much being a newby on this forum but here goes.

I have used (and still do) the Cryo Koolkables for quite a bit.

They replaced my blue heaven (they are more revealing, very dynamic and have slightly tighter bass). I really like them and have tried a LOT of 2 - £300 stuff.
    The company is pretty local to me and has excellent backup with a friendly bloke (who is into hifi rather than money) running it.

I have also tried cables by i think ......."splodge" ??? from ebay...these were good, quite revealing better than the blue heaven but a bit warmer than Koolkables and not quite as dynamic.

I have tried a thin purple cable by straight thru (i think) ...this had gold something or other in it!! A very strange cable....couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. the soundstage was very flat but dynamics and clarity were outstanding!!
    One to try in your own system (wish i had kept mine to try when i change something in my system).

Remember all of this is subjective........(i tried a chord something or other one red /one black £200ish for .5 m, that was really crap....but has had great "reviews" elsewhere.

Hope some of this helps.:)

Listener666, May 4, 2008
  6. ali_x

ali_x

Ive got a pair of straight thru interconnects, they were the first non big brand interconnects that I tried.

I think I can understand what you are saying about them. I think they lacked soundstage like you say and probably bass a bit too.

Im actually currently using mine with my wii!.

There's a pair of straght thru's going on e bay if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120256026794&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

(They are a very good cable still!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
    ali_x, May 4, 2008
  7. ali_x

johnandchris

Why would it be deleted. Someone was asking cables. I can offer a service if it is wanted. I am not making spurious claims or making suggestions on how to improve a system to try and dupe someone into parting with their hard earned cash.

John

johnandchris, May 4, 2008
  8. ali_x

cooky1257

In the AUP look under Trade Sellers.

cooky1257, May 4, 2008
  9. ali_x

banpe2006

This is a recent change john - you may not be aware of....you may be banned from posting unless someone points the guy in your direction instead of yourself....You now have to post in the trade section, or others will point potential customers there for you. Im not sure if you can pm people directly. Perhaps someone can elaborate ...

banpe2006, May 4, 2008
  10. ali_x

DavidF

Look for ward to seeing you ideas under the trade section, John.

DavidF, May 4, 2008
  11. ali_x

Dev Moderator

John, as others have pointed out, please discuss your products/services in the trade section.

banpe2006, banning is not something we do on a whim.

Dev, May 4, 2008
  12. ali_x

johnandchris

Hi guys.
    I appreciate that any trade needs to go in the appropriate section. If i have caused any issues then i appologise. I was merely answering a question posted by another forum member.
    I am wary of PMing direct as it looks like i am trying to push my products. However i will do that in future.
    Kind regards
    john

johnandchris, May 4, 2008
  13. ali_x

DavidF

No issues with me what so ever, John.

;)

DavidF, May 4, 2008
  14. ali_x

Dev Moderator

No need for apologies John and you don't have to use PMs to sell your products either. Please feel free to post details of your products in the trade section.

Dev, May 4, 2008
  15. ali_x

cooky1257

Nor me;-)

cooky1257, May 4, 2008
  16. ali_x

banpe2006

Dev, I was almost banned for one post when I told someone what i thought of them....it was my first offence and I didnt really know the rules, so I would say that that was a whim....However, I take your point - twas not you who threatened the action.

banpe2006, May 4, 2008
  17. ali_x

lordsummit moderate mod

The AUP is there for all to read, it's found at the bottom right hand corner of every page

lordsummit, May 6, 2008
  18. ali_x

banpe2006

Yes, but its not that easy to spot ( I rarely scroll right down that far ) and it certainly doesnt draw your attention...i only found out by the "back door" so to speak...it certainly wasnt obvious. Perhaps members should be directed to this page before they are allowed to post, to save these instances. I missed it, Im sure there are others who dont necessarily sit here trawling through every header on the site. It should IMO , be more prominent.

banpe2006, May 6, 2008
  19. ali_x

zanash

back to cables ........anyone ?

I had a listen to a set of straight thru's these were compared to a number of others including mine ....but I shall limit my views to generalities.

The straight thru's set against the rest sounded limp and undynamic....a little like viewing a colour tv with the colour balance set very low. The one thing you can say about silver is the top end should sparkle ...these didn't in their owners opinion

look at the ebay adds .......some are selling these items at less than you can buy the materials ! [remember silver has a world price not just a uk price]

I've talked about cost of silver before .....925 costs about £3/m [for 0.5mm] 4n 3-4 time that and 5n about 10 times ....if you see an add for a 4-5n silver cable that is below £100 then you can be certain something is not quite as it should be ....

so how can you tell what the purity of the conductor ?

you can't, the only way is to hear it ...as your not going to get an assay of it .....!

even what one would call reputable companies can pull fast one's.....I repaired a set of allegedly pure silver cables to find one of the conductors to be just silver plated copper. That makes a nice profit on an $800 cable !

so be warned its buyer beware ..if it looks too good to be true, it is.

Explain to me why someone who does not believe cable can have any impact on the final sound ...is bothering to make comments on cables ...unless its to try and create an argument ? ]

zanash, May 7, 2008
  20. ali_x

DavidF

Perhpats might explain why some get dissillusioned on the subject?!

DavidF, May 7, 2008
Ask a Question