Interest Check Sonic Euphoria PLC Passive TVC

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Woodnut, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut

Hello,

I have a Sonic Euphoria Passive Line Controller Transformer Volume Control in black that is no longer being used in my system and I could do with raising some cash.

It is in black and is two years old, has two outputs, a tape loop and three inputs.

I bought this direct from the manufacturer for $1000 and had it shipped to England, the retail for these was more than that at the time ($1,300 I think for the basic model with remote + WBT RCAs bringing it to $1,500) but this was an end of production model and a special offer.

It has one pair of WBT RCAs for the output and also another bog standard pair of RCAs for a second output.

On the input side there is one pair of WBT RCAs and then the second pair of RCA inputs also look like WBTs but one of the pair looks slightly different though it does look like a WBT, the third input is a pair of bog standard RCAs. So a bit of a mix of sockets, a picture can be supplied if the way this looks is an issue.
    I was a little annoyed when I took delivery and saw this but I did get it at a good price versus the retail at the time so it didn't bother me too much.

This unit also comes with a remote control HOWEVER, this has never functioned very well and it seems to have been poorly designed / implemented as I will explain.

When using the remote the motor sometimes the volume control knob gets stuck and you have to go down to go back up or vice versa. When the volume control is operated with the remote it sometimes stops in-between positions meaning that the right channel is slightly louder than the left so another press of the remote is required up or down to correct it.

When adjusting the volume by hand these issues do not apply.

The bottom line is that you can change the volume with the remote but it operates in a quirky and annoying manner that I have lived with for the last two years and become accustomed to. Perhaps this unit would be more at home with someone who does not require a remote.

The reason for selling is not actually to do with the remote as I have been extremely happy with the sound of this unit. I have recently bought an integrated so it is no longer being used.

I used this TVC in the signal path after my Dax Decade DAC and even though the Dax Decade has a digital preamp, I tried taking the TVC out of the system many times to simplify my setup but always put it back in the system as it simply sounded better to my ears.

Here are some reviews / info on the product.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonic-euphoria-plc-passive-line-stage

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonic-euphoria-plc-passive-line-stage-art-dudley-february-2006

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp042404.shtml

I don't really know what to ask for this so please PM me if at all interested, ANY and ALL offers considered. Given that the remote is the way it is and the RCA sockets are not matching I am prepared to let it go for a very good bargain price.

If there are no offers here I shall evaluate it again and put up a price here or perhaps cart it off to ebay.

I have the box original packaging and manual. The condition is very good and there doesn't appear to be any marks / scratches etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
    Woodnut, Nov 30, 2010
  2. Woodnut

Cable Monkey

Can I just say I just collected this after buying it on eBay and recognised it as this pre. The seller was way too critical of it in this listing. It looks and sounds fabulous, and the issue with the remote is easily fixable I think.

I had the pleasure of comparing it with a silver wound Music First Mk2 last night and it did not disgrace itself by any means.

Cable Monkey, Mar 23, 2011
Ask a Question