Interesting Afternnon

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Jan 13, 2004.

1. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Interesting Afternoon

Just a big thanks to larkin, who popped over to Wm Towers on saturday, Andy (larkin), has a wadia 850 also, and just wondered if wm, had managed to improve on this, after reading about the mods I had preformed on mine, we had a great relaxed afternoon and music, plus a chance to swop wadia tales, he's quiet chap (strange he didn't run after me opening the door :D ), but a throughly nice gent, he often lurks, sometimes posts, but a good day was had by all.
    I wonder how many more lurkers, we have that don't post as often as they should, or haven't signed up yet?, we're all different here, but I feel the mix is diverse and good natured. Wm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
    wadia-miester, Jan 13, 2004
  2. wadia-miester

Alex S User

So, did Andy think all the tinkering was worth it?

Alex S, Jan 13, 2004
  3. wadia-miester

Larkin

If it wasn't for being laid low by 'flu last week and off work, my reply would have been sooner.

The trip to Wm Towers on Saturday was definately a good one. The modifications to the Wadia 850 certainly enhanced its performance. To the extent that I would like the same mods applied to my own 850. The character of the 850 was there only improved and I was very much impressed. Bass is particularly memorable. I understand now what Tone strives for, music expressed as if it is alive, real and with a drive to connect emotionally.

I had a very entertaining afternoon. I did a lot of listening: to Tone, he has a lot to say, to his music, and to some of my own. I'd have listened to every CD brought with me given the chance.

Many thanks to Tone for allowing me to visit and hear his high end music system.

Larkin, Jan 20, 2004
  4. wadia-miester

Andrew, thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it, even if I'm prone to the odd bout of waffling :eek: , I does also show, that careful purchaces and selective tinkering can pay off, cheers Tone

wadia-miester, Jan 20, 2004
  5. wadia-miester

Jeremy

I am definitely a lurker more then a poster here. I guess I am waiting for that golden topic to arrive one day (dunno what it will be though) and start some serious posting.

Shame I didnt have a chance to come over and hear the new system this christmas Tony, but Ill be back around easter time, perhaps you will have made some more improvements by then Ill have to listen to.

Jeremy, Jan 20, 2004
  6. wadia-miester

HenryT

Do you guys actually get a chance to do a straight comparison between an au naturel 850 and a WM 850? :)

HenryT, Jan 20, 2004
  7. wadia-miester

Henry, we didn't prefrom a back to back on the day, I feel Andy can answer this question better than I, remember 44.1<>DSD it's calling you :eek: T.

8. wadia-miester

HenryT

You mentioned this last night as well, but I still haven't a clue what you might be implying with the "44.1<>DSD"? :confused:

:)

HenryT, Jan 20, 2004
  9. wadia-miester

1394 Firewire, you may yet be surprised at the dcs, I tried over the weekend, hummm I almost could get used to it, but still the thwack is evaisive, however It's good :)

10. wadia-miester

HenryT

Tone,

I've heard DSD upsampling on dCS at Mr Baldwin's place about 2 years back and yes was very impressed - makes PCM upsampling sound artificial by comparison yes. Or are you talking more specifically about the La Scala version of the Verdi transport with built-in upsampling?

Hmm, well a Verdi is loads of money. Also, just to have both my Delius & Purcell sent back to the factory to be upgraded to DSD spec is going to be a straight £4k alone. :eek: :rolleyes:

Maybe one day, but certainly not in the foreseeable future. It's time to cut back, downsize, go lean and see what happens from there. ;)

HenryT, Jan 21, 2004
Ask a Question