Interesting HIFI design book in music zone

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Dec 31, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Its £5 hardbacked and it has lots of good pictures of HIFI products since the 50's till now. It is an interesting read and a good trip down memory lane.

amazingtrade, Dec 31, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Music zone of what? What are you on about?

garyi, Dec 31, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Music Zone as in the shop. The largest independant music retailer in the country. I just thought people would be interested, since the book was £20, is now £5, its a good solid book with interesting products in there. It has information about unusual record decks, pictures of early CD players, pictures of classic speaker designs etc.

4. amazingtrade

Dick Bowman

Wouldn't it be helpful to people if you told us the title, author, publisher and ISBN?

Dick Bowman, Dec 31, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Probably but its not worth spending £20 on, Music Zone have it int he sale it will be obvious which book it is. Its called Sound Design by David Attwood.

Its just somthing that might be worth picking up if anybody goes past a Music Zone store. The RRP is £20 but I guess there is not much demand for a book full of HIFI pictures hence it being in the sale at a music shop.

6. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Mr Trade, I have never heard of Music Zone, and there is no such shop in the south, infact a google pulled up that its in Manc and thats about that.

How it came to be the largest independent music shop is probably be default of the fact its the only one lol.

don't assume people will know! I'll have to check out the book on line, it does not seem worth the trip even at a fiver.

garyi, Dec 31, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Err it is a North West chain but they are all over the country but mainly to the North. The head quarters are based in Stockport. I remember when they only had a couple of shops, now they have 50, so in a few years time they will be massive.

http://www.musiczone.co.uk/index.html?page=stores&spage=maps

There must be a good 50 stores on that list.

It is a household name certainly in the North West, its always advertised on peak time TV.

8. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Got a copy of this book on boxing day. A good read for a fiver. Some interesting pieces of kit in the book.

Music zone are a northern chain. Nothing down south. It would be interesting to see if they do go down south. They do some stuff really cheap so it's well worth a look. I prefer other shops such as Fopp due to having a better, wider range of music.

The book is this one.

[​IMG]

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~nroberts/article85a.pdf

SCIDB, Dec 31, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

Yeah Fopp is very good, I bought the Happy Mondays greatest hists for £3 this morning.

Birmingham has a very big Music Zone so I am sure they will probably edge their way south.

Every city apart from London I have been to has had one so it is easy to assume its a national chain, I apologise for that. I even thought London had one.

I guess its like Waitrose, hardly any Northerners have heared of them, though a new store has opened up in Cheadle Hulme or some where like that.

10. amazingtrade

narabdela

narabdela, Dec 31, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

zanash

Cheers for the info.............!

zanash, Dec 31, 2005
Ask a Question