Interesting New arm

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SCIDB, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Wilson Benesch, the users of carbon fiibre technology, are releasing new tone arm.

The "nanotube one" uses carbon fibre to increase the stiffness and strength. It uses a new "Buckyball" structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might see if I can get a listen to one of these arms. It is interesting that they are releasing a tone arm. There must be interest for it.

http://www.wilson-benesch.com/nano.pdf

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jan 29, 2008
  2. SCIDB

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

mmm. there's a few things here.

the carbon nanotubes are in the epoxy matrix, the implication and the layup would imply that this item is wet laid up and not made from pre-preg tape, i could be wrong, but it looks very unlike a tape winding which would be much flatter in the pattern edges. Simply put, you can't get anywhere near the same strength to weight from wet layup as pre-preg tape, even with particles, so i hope i'm wrong in this respect and they haven't sacrificed pre-preg construction for a particle loaded matrix.

They do look to have increased the cross sectional area of the carbon part of the arm and also the profile from headshell to bearing.

i'll be looking one out at my local dealer either way.

sq225917, Jan 30, 2008
  3. SCIDB

dunkyboy

Good grief, I hope their engineering skills are better than their writing skills! So many commas! :p

(Hopefully it means they put all their budget into engineering, rather than PR!)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 2, 2008
Ask a Question