Internet addiction

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Sep 10, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It is not quite as bad as it sounds but I have made 11,400 posts on a forum since December 2003. The post count is around 43 posts a day. Has anybody ever got over such a major addiction?

I need to stop posting ass I am going into my final year and need to spend all time at home on university work. I will still post on ZG because I don't spend much time on here only about 20 minutes a day.

I will edit the hosts file on my computer to 127.0.0.1 and put the address of the website next to it to block it and I hope that will be enough.

amazingtrade, Sep 10, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

PeteH Natural Blue

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

PeteH, Sep 11, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Lol nice typo there. I mean't as. :eek:

amazingtrade, Sep 11, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

You meant meant (no apostrophe) ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 11, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

Sid and Coke

I have spent so much time surfing, lurking and posting on the internet since i got a computer in my house 4 years ago , that i have completely shagged my right shoulder ( no, not because of any of that either ). I've been to see the Doc and he refered me to a physio. He told me that I've got to stay off the computer completely for at least 6 weeks, i tried but just couldn't do it. I did get a bit of respite when i went to work in Germany a few weeks ago, but now i'm back on the ibruprofen (600-800 mg ) every day. i am a hopeless case and really must get out and get a life. Or alternatively get another job.
    I don't know how you IT guys can spend so much time at a computer terminal and not suffer any ill effects, I'm in agony a lot of the time these days.

Sid and Coke, Sep 11, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

analoguekid Planet Rush

Sid look at a another HID, for example, you can have voice control(although I have never got that towork properly, you can also get finger mice, has small trackball that you control with your thumb, and a coupla buttons, (mappers have them sonmetimes) there are various others, and these should help, with RSI's, some people won't spend money on input devices, and it's a shame, a good mice can cost £50 or more, but you might not notice it lying on your desk, but you will find you get less RSI with good quality well designed HID's I've found the most comfortable for me were the logitech, mx 700/900 (one wireless, the other blutooth), combined with a good mousepad, these can reallty help.

analoguekid, Sep 11, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

I had shoulder/wrist problems when i started working full time in IT.
    Solution was simply to lower the chair a small amount, this put my elbows level with the desk and stopped the sloping shoulders, also letting me wrest my wrists and still type.

penance, Sep 11, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

Sid and Coke

I've got a MS wireless mouse and keyboard, unfortunately i still tend to 'slouch' as the physio calls it. I've even got into the incrediby bad habit of sitting on the chair back-to-front and leaning over the back of the chair.
    I need shooting.

Sid and Coke, Sep 11, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you are right-handed, then swap your mouse use to the left hand - you soon learn to point OK. The RH is still handy for return, arrow keys, etc. The load is spread out and thus far I've managed to stave off RSI-type injuries, after somne symptoms began to develop.

SteveC, Sep 12, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

Lt Cdr Data om

I concur, too, its incredibly addictive, you can look up loads of things, buy things you never dreamed of halfway across the world, locate rare books, foodstuffs (french mustard with chillies yum!), play on ebay and contribute to fora like this good one.
    Trouble is, I spend perhaps 2-3 hours on and off per day as a conservative estimate, and my posture, upper back pain is being affected, and I used to practise alexander technique, so god help the IT people who spend their whole waking hours on it. I really would not want to work with computers.

Lt Cdr Data, Sep 12, 2004
Ask a Question