iPod Headphone Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RDD, Apr 11, 2005.

?

So - Whats your opinion on the white headphones?

1. It's part of the whole image - they NEED to be worn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. "YES - I OWN AN IPOD - ROB ME"

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. I wear my white phones and am comfortable using them in public

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

All,

Just a quick question - I've just bought a new iPod and am quite pleased with the sound of the original ear phones, my main concern though is how much of a target for theft I am. There was something in the news about the white headphones attracting the wrong kind of attention recently and I was just wondering how much of a target you feel by means of a poll.

I have to walk through my estate on my way home and while it's no Moss Side it (as 90% of estates do) has its fair share of (stereotype ahoy) 15 year old Chavs with nothing better to do than hang around on corners drinking petrol and wondering who/what to rob - namely lone lad walking towards them with iPod :rolleyes:

I'd rather keep the headphones as they sound quite sweet and would rather keep listening as I walk, but I'm open to opinions.

Cheers

RDD, Apr 11, 2005
  2. RDD

Anex Thermionic

You can do far better than that. I thought the ipod headphones sounded awful personally. Sony do a pair for about £25 that fit inside your ears properly, give quite a good level reduction.

Anex, Apr 11, 2005
  3. RDD

julian2002 Muper Soderator

get one of those russian ear flap hats. that way you have the double protection of
    1) covering the offending earphones
    2) appearing to be a nutter when wearing it in the high summer and therefore immune to attack as you might just be a multiple murderer on a care in the community programme.

[​IMG]

carrying a baseball bat (and ball) may help too.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Apr 11, 2005
  4. RDD

Anex Thermionic

Wrap the white ones in black electrical tape.

Anex, Apr 11, 2005
  5. RDD

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Either
    wear the iPod phones, get crap sound quality and get yer head kicked in by a mugger
    or
    ask Jose Mourinho's advice as to what he gave his trainer to use last week in the european tie.

Bob

Bob McC, Apr 11, 2005
  6. RDD

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The irony being that Moss Side is actually pretty safe these days :)

amazingtrade, Apr 11, 2005
  7. RDD

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I've got an iPod Mini, but have never used the white earphones - partly due to the 'mug me, I've got an iPod' aspect and also because I like the sound of my Sennheiser MX400s.

nsherin, Apr 11, 2005
  8. RDD

I bought some MX400's for my PDA and Walkman. I didn't like them, I found they kept falling out of my ears. I personaly much prefer the larger Senheiser PX40s. They cost about £15, they look crap and are poorly built but the sound is very very good for the money. It has a nice bass, with a bit of warmth, again the vocals have a bit of warmth, the treble is rounded off a bit too to reduce the tish tish.

They sound natural but they are dynamic enough not to sound flat. They are the best phones I have heared for under £20.

amazingtrade, Apr 11, 2005
  9. RDD

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Try some Shure's. They just look like hearing aids to the uneducated :D

PBirkett, Apr 12, 2005
  10. RDD

michaelab desafinado

Get a pair of Sony EX71s and you won't regret it. About £35 and they blow away anything short of the likes of the much more expensive Shure and Etymotic offerings (oh, and they're black ;) ).

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 12, 2005
  11. RDD

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Christ - I thought it was just me who had this problem witht he MX400s (the bloody earpads fall off all the time too - I've gone through a PACK of replacements since January! Pity really as the 400s sound good.

Do they do a version like the PX40 that DOESN'T have a bloody music-destroying volume control in the lead??? EEEUGH! Also, how much sound do they leak, and how solid-a-fit on your head are they??? I have some Sony ones at the mo (they look like the G57G ones:[​IMG]

sound good, when the damn things aren't sliding around all over my ears and literally tearing my hair out - ouch! I gave up on them...

As for someone wanting to nick an ipod - good luck to them - I'd rather have my 1992 tape walkman over one of those any day thanks. Until I'm forced to, kicking and screaming, I'll never use MP3. It's bad enough having an antishock system that can't be turned off (nice modulation noise)...

domfjbrown, Apr 12, 2005
  12. RDD

Yes the PX30 is the same I believe, they are cheaper £10 from Maplin and they have no volume pot. I think they are exactly the same drivers. The sound leakage is also very good, you don't get that tish tish coming out of it so you can use them on the bus without being hating you.

I used my MX400's for Spain last year. Was a big mistake, the buds kept falling out as you say and they wouldn't stay in my ears. It wasn't nice being sat on the Lloret beach without any music to remind me of home.

Next time my trust PX40's will be going with me. They do look old fashioned and cheap but they don't sound it. I find the PX40's fit pretty well they don't come of my head or anything unlike the crappy MX400s.

amazingtrade, Apr 12, 2005
  13. RDD

lordsummit moderate mod

Good god AT sometimes you really worry me. Was there not acres of nearly naked flesh to feast your eye's upon, or are you Stephen Fry in disguise?

lordsummit, Apr 12, 2005
  14. RDD

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The Shure's arent a lot more expensive though, you can get em on ebay for around £45 all in. And they are a lot better than the EX71 ;)

PBirkett, Apr 12, 2005
  15. RDD

PBirkett VTEC Addict

If you dont mind me saying, I think you are depriving yourself of a nice listening experience by saying you'd rather use casette over MP3. My mate has an MP3 device with some Shure E2C's and the result is amazing, way better than any casette walkman i've ever heard ;)

PBirkett, Apr 12, 2005
  16. RDD

Anex Thermionic

casette is analogue so thats actually debateable

Anex, Apr 12, 2005
  17. RDD

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

He he he - at least when tape goes wishy, it doesn't go all twittery. THAT'S my biggest gripe with MP3 and DAB. Musicality aside, the agro of compressing stuff to MP3 also puts me off...

domfjbrown, Apr 12, 2005
  18. RDD

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Oh, that old chestnut... show me just one tape walkman that sounds as good as something like an iRiver, and I'd eat my hat (if I had one) ;)

OK, but the ripping thing just takes a little setting up, and once you've done it once, theres no need to do it again, just back up to CD. I'd say the whole process of ripping, burning and copying to device, for an 80 minute CD, is still quicker than recording it all :D

And to be fair, I think we have similar taste in presentations, we have the same cans, and the same speakers, and we even like the same music, and yet I hear no loss in musicality that you speak of ;)

PBirkett, Apr 12, 2005
  19. RDD

T-bone Sanchez

How great seeing Mr Candy on this forum, theres not enough Candy in this world.

LS, last time I was on a spanish beach there was miles and miles of naked flesh, sadly most of it put me gave me the Ertha Kits, not nice, well Im putting it down to that anyway.

Whats called for here is a baseball cap with headphones built in and possibly a bottle on the top with a straw or a fan attached to the peak.

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 12, 2005
  20. RDD

Lol that was pretty much the only reason for going to Lloret anyway, its a bit of a dump. The main point of the trip was to go to Barcelona and we did for four nights, but we could not afford to spend a week there, which is why we ended up in Lloret for 3 nights as well.

And yes the beach was very good for that, its just a pitty that resort is like the Bedidorm for the Germans's and French. Its very popular with the french because its only a short drive away to the southern parts.

amazingtrade, Apr 12, 2005
Ask a Question