iPod question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jan 21, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Sorry, this has probably been answered a million times over on iPodLounge.com but I couldn't be bothered to trawl it.

I'll mainly be using my PC at home with iTunes and syncing my iPod but when I take my laptop with me for my monthly trip to London I wouldn't mind recording the CDs I buy there and slapping them on the iPod before I get back home. Trouble is, iPod and iTunes work with that music "database" so it doesn't really work. I know you can turn off the automatic syncing and upload songs manually but that's a real drag (see how Apple software is already changing my thinking :D ) so the compromise I'm going to use is:

Use auto sync-ing with my PC at home and manual syncing with my laptop. However, when I've uploaded songs to the iPod manually (via the laptop) when I then get back home they won't be in the local "library" and will get erased when the iPod next syncs up at home - or won't they?

Is it possible to grab songs from the iPod to the PC (without having to laboriously find whether on the iPod filesystem they are stored)?

How do other people who use two machines handle this problem?

Thanks,
    Mike.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2004
  2. michaelab

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

nsherin, Jan 21, 2004
  3. michaelab

tomson

I used to use my ipod on 2 macs; home and work. What I did was set itunes to 'automatically update selected playlists only' (from the ipod preferences within itunes) - this allowed me to copy playlists created on different machines over to my ipod without disturbing anything else on the ipod.

I then used Podworks or iPodRip to transfer songs back from my ipod to the other mac. Its a bit of a laborious task but it does the job.

tomson, Jan 21, 2004
  4. michaelab

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Of course the reason for this strangulation is law, it would be very easy for me to take my ipod over to Michaels, copy his entire track lists and put it on my computer, with the software as it is this is not possible.

Or is it...

There are plenty of freeware apps which allow you to buy pass this, but of course I am a mac head, so can't help you on the old peeeeceee.

garyi, Jan 21, 2004
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I'll see if ephpod for the PC will get around that little problem...

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2004
Ask a Question