Ipod RIP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by badchamp, Nov 28, 2005.

1. badchamp

badchamp Thermionic Member

Was just updating my 3g IPod the other day when the battery died whilst it was mounted. Of course the PC accused me of removing the ipod whilst it was connected. Now it just goes chunka chunka chunka. I've reset it but no joy. Wont connect to the Pc so can't use the restore option. Apart from consigning it to the waste bin, any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jeff

badchamp, Nov 28, 2005
  2. badchamp

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

It does not sound like a dead battery more a dead harddrive (software side). It might just be a reset job. To do this though you need the power adaptor plugged into the iPod not the computer. To reset third gens slip the lock on then off then hold down menu and play at the same time. It needs to be plugged into the mains though.

You might need to try it a couple of times to get it to go.

If this fails then it might be worth a punt getting a new battery. I got mine on ebay for £8.50 delivered. Its made my iPod like new plus it goes for a good 14 hours.

garyi, Nov 29, 2005
  3. badchamp

badchamp Thermionic Member

Garyi,

Indeed. I've tried the reset procedure several times. I'm sure it's a system software thing too. It sort of resets, and will even try to play at times but it seems to "play" through the tracks at an alarming pace! No sound through the 'phones though.

The PC recognises the ipod. I've reinstalled iTunes. I've reset the ipod but can't (as far as I'm aware) restore the ipod : the update / restore program seems to hang on my Windows.

Maybe a kind of a catch 22 - I could probably get it to restore if it would recognise the ipod but I can't get it to recognise the ipod until it's restored!

Jeff

badchamp, Nov 29, 2005
  4. badchamp

To clarify you need to have the iPod plugged into the power adaptor into a wall socket when you perform the reset. This performs a Hard Reset. Doing it when its not plugged into a wall socket will not help.

More over it will not help plugged into the computer.

On the apple site it does say that if the battery is fully depleated there may not even be enough energy to tell the computer its plugged in, this might be your issue as well, again the wall adaptor is what you need.

garyi, Nov 29, 2005
  5. badchamp

One other thing, you may have inadvertently restored the ipod, on some restores you need to plug it into the power adaptor as well :)

garyi, Nov 29, 2005
Ask a Question