iPod

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Levi_501, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

The fairer sex has asked for an iPod, are they actually any good ?

She will also want to connect it to our kitchen system.

Before I buy one, could someone please let me know the best way to connect it to a Hi Fi system, so I can do one purchase rather than come Christmas day going looking for another cable !

Thanks in advance

Levi_501, Dec 7, 2008
  2. Levi_501

Mark P

Go to your local Richer Sounds and buy one of the Cambridge iPOD docks and the remote control they were c. £50 and they're selling them off at £10 + £10 for the remote (which comes with a cheapy 3.5 jack plug to 2 RCA lead). They should enable you to connect it to the kitchen system and the main one, although you'll need two if you don't want to be moving things around all the time.

iPods are fine and very convenient for portable audio. They're easy to use and very stylish.

Mark P, Dec 7, 2008
  3. Levi_501

Seeker_UK

What about sound quality though?

I've currently got a Sony HiMD player which is superb but after reading the review of the iPod Nano in the latest HiFi World, I'm concerned that although for my £200 I'm getting something stylish with bags of storage space, I might be taking a step back sound-wise (even if I use lossless / high quality lossy).

Seeker_UK, Dec 8, 2008
  4. Levi_501

MrArgostoli

I just use a 3.5 jack and red/white cable (whatever that is called) and it works just fine.

I personally wouldn't waste the space and battery playing lossless, 320kbps mp3 is fine for most under £300 headphones (Shure included).

The great thing about an iPod is you also use it as an external hard drive too. I've got an 80GB model with 50GB of music and the other 30GB is used for transfering files from my latop to my PC etc... You just plug it into your PC and browse to it in My Computer.

I've had other MP3 players, but I hate to say it - the iPod is the best. Damn Apple.

MrArgostoli, Dec 8, 2008
  5. Levi_501

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

The HImd player will sound better with PCM files, than the IPOD does with any format, the SOny is just built for sound not cost like the ipod.

I have ipod and iphone and neither of them can touch my last sony player for SQ.

sq225917, Dec 8, 2008
  6. Levi_501

Seeker_UK

Oh :(

Seeker_UK, Dec 9, 2008
  7. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I think I am going to go for a Nano, 8GB thingie for about £100

Levi_501, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question