is lcd winning out over plasma?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by midlifecrisis, Dec 9, 2007.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

mulling over getting a bigger telly and been browsing the likes of Curries. noticed that there seem to be more LCDs than plasmas around now - except at the huge sizes of 50" plus - and the prices are pretty comparable. is plasma on the way out? I've got into analysis paralysis now - two technologies, too many sizes, specs etc

midlifecrisis, Dec 9, 2007
  2. midlifecrisis

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Yes, but once OLED lifetimes get up there then LCD and plasma will be very dead.

I-S, Dec 9, 2007
  3. midlifecrisis

MO! MOnkey`ead!

But how far off is that though?

MO!, Dec 9, 2007
  4. midlifecrisis

well if they get that 40 inch Samsung demo one into production, fix the display life and then discount it in time for the January sales I might be interested...

midlifecrisis, Dec 9, 2007
  5. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

My understanding is plasma is generally better in a number of areas than LCD and these show on bigger screens so plasma is still the better choice (AFAIU) for larger sizes (40"+).

Sure new tech improves things, but you could wait for eternity, or you could buy a plasma and enjoy it for 5 years+ and then get something better.

I'm pretty sure it's in the interests of manufacturers to push LCD, hence the apparent dominance.

greg, Dec 9, 2007
  6. midlifecrisis

well I just ordered a Panasonic 42 inch plasma - picture in the shop was superb (of course that was on Bluray, so that might be the next shopping trip come the Sales...)

I was tempted by a 58 inch monster Panasonic which was just stunning - never seen a picture like it, but that was a cool £4K and would have needed to go in a different room

midlifecrisis, Dec 10, 2007
  7. midlifecrisis

robert_cyrus

I just bought a 2nd hand 36" Toshiba CRT, it's big and bloody heavy (just over 70 kg's) but it knocks spots off any 36" size plasma or lcd i've seen with standard definition i.e. freeview and dvd.
    That'll help us ride out the lcd/plasma wave until OLED / SED is a reality (i.e. for sale in Currys)

robert_cyrus, Dec 10, 2007
  8. midlifecrisis

rollo

Using a Sony 36" CRT. By adding a good power conditioner IMO the picture is outstanding. My daughters Samsung LCD just dosn't compare the picture appears distorted at times. FWIW.

rollo

rollo, Dec 10, 2007
  9. midlifecrisis

actually I'm getting more and more tempted just to go get a blu-ray player - the Sony BDP-S300 is around for about £250, and it upsamples normal dvd's to 1080, which reputedly works quite well.

I also got a 36inch secondhand tosh (for £60!), which is doing service in the kids play room for playstation and sleepover dvd sessions. the plasma will replace my Sony 32 incher, which will go up in my gym, so nowt wasted..

midlifecrisis, Dec 10, 2007
  10. midlifecrisis

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I have a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma, and I have to say I am very happy with it.

The picture quality is superb, and the size is about right.

You will be very happy with it.

Levi_501, Dec 10, 2007
  11. midlifecrisis

auric FOSS

Sum suggest 2010 as the soonest you might catch a glimpse of one in the wild.

auric, Dec 11, 2007
  12. midlifecrisis

well, the 'tempted' phase didnt last long - I succumbed and ordered a Sony blu-ray player too! fingers crossed it all turns up for the weekend :D

midlifecrisis, Dec 11, 2007
Ask a Question