Is my new NAD C320BEE defective?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rnd1x, Apr 3, 2007.

1. rnd1x

rnd1x

Hi, It's my first post here. I recently purchased a NAD C320BEE (on closeout) and have noticed an issue with the 'tone defeat' switch. For those of you that aren't familiar with this amp, the switch is a single pole, single throw (w/ a latching action) type of switch.

If I push the button to defeat or engage the tone controls (while a source is playing) the volume momentarily spikes resulting in a quick, but noticeable, sound in the speakers. If I slowly move the button through its range of motion, I can find the one position (between ON and OFF) where the volume of the amp increases by about 25%. This increase in volume stays in effect as long as I maintain the button in this half on/half off position.

Now my question, is this a defective switch (i.e. shorted out, miswired, etc.) or a design flaw of some sort that other C320BEE's also exhibit?

If it's a design flaw, I can live with it considering the price I paid (and the fact that the button will always stay on the OFF position). But, if it is defective, I'm worried that it could mean something else is also wrong or that the problem could somehow manifest itself in other ways down the road - in which case I will try to swap out the unit for another one (its doable, but just a big hassle for me).

So does anyone have any insight into this? Or does anyone currently have this amp and can check to see if theirs exhibits this behaviour? Thanks!

rnd1x, Apr 3, 2007
  2. rnd1x

zanash

I'm certain my old 3020a did much the same ....pops clicks and thumps go with the unit.....

Like most things with the NAD always turn the volume down before you operate a switch...

zanash, Apr 4, 2007
  3. rnd1x

M3G4

Mine doesn't exhibit this issue.. it instead has it's own. Part of the remote has died, and the volume control on it no longer sends an IR signal... and if it does, it changes the source on the Amp.

Sent the remote off to superfi to fix it, the amp is fine. I've not managed to replicate the same issue you've had.

M3G4, Apr 10, 2007
Ask a Question