Is Squeezebox3 the computer media player of choice?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by demandcurve, Dec 19, 2007.

1. demandcurve

demandcurve

I want to do this computer source thing - already I have a Linksys 54 SRX wireless router and NAS: Synology DS-207. For unavoidable reasons the router is set to 802.11g and WEP/128 security.

I seen lot of discussion about the Squeezebox3 and SlimServer software. Is this because the SB3 is the best media player, or are there as-good alternatives? For example Linksys KiSS1600 or Netgear EVA8000.

Why not the SB3? I do not have a laptop - or a desktop PC in my listening room - to manage music selection, but the Linksys can be managed off the TV.

I did contemplate buying a WiFi PDA to control music selection but that means further cost and I question whether browsing on a PDA screen is practical.

In short, does anyone have a reason I should go SB3 over an alternative media player such as the Linksys or Netgear?

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

demandcurve, Dec 19, 2007
  2. demandcurve

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

I don't know about the alternatives, but as a SB3 user, I only can say it's a great little piece of gear. One of my SB3s is in the same room as the PC, but the other is not and everything works fine.
    The SB3 is cute, small, versatile, legible even from a distance (3 different font sizes) and the quality is definitely good enough for me. And it plays Pandora...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
    Sir Galahad, Dec 19, 2007
  3. demandcurve

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Pixel magic MB200 media box???

could be good

Regards

Chea Johndle, Dec 19, 2007
  4. demandcurve

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

As I mentioned elsewher, you could even run slimserver directly on the NAS, without the need always to have another computer running: I run a free package called SLimserver On DiskstationSSODS on the older Synology CS-406.

SteveC, Dec 19, 2007
  5. demandcurve

demandcurve

I definitely want to stream the music files directly from a NAS, without any PC on.

so Steve, to run SB3 off a Synology NAS I need to install additional software onto the NAS, sounds reasonable since the NAS' standard browser interface doesn't obviously support a music server - except to iTunes on a PC

CJ - not heard of the PM MB before. Have you used one? Directly off a NAS or connected to a PC?

... so much ground to cover, this computer source stuff is a steep learning curve for me. Appreciate all advice. Thanks

Tony

demandcurve, Dec 19, 2007
  6. demandcurve

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tony, not sure if you can run slim server off your nas but the squeezebox is fully remote controlable with a supplied remote. no need for pc's / wireless tablets / etc. for control although you can usethe web interface if you want..
    i have a squeezebox AND an eva and while the eva is good for movies etc. the sqeezebox is my choice for music.

julian2002, Dec 20, 2007
  7. demandcurve

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you really want to explore Squeezeboxes without laying your hands on one physically - just to see if you like the look of the way the interface works and the like, then you could install a thing called "Softsqueeze" on a handy laptop or PC. It is a Squeezebox or Transporter emulator in software, and looks just like the real hardware but on screen - buttons that work, green scrolling displays and everything. You even see a remote control just like the one that comes with the hardware, if you want. Of course, just like the real hardware you also need the server software running somewhere, e.g., on your NAS or on the same or different PC. You can find Softsqueeze on the slimdevices website.

SteveC, Dec 20, 2007
  8. demandcurve

robs

In a word, Yes.

I have two. Use them both daily (wirelessly) & cannot fault them. I am amazed that there has not been anything else on the market to rival it yet (considering how long it as been available). The Sonus is pricey (though smart looking). Some high end stuff coming available now, but big $$$.
    I suspect a fair bit of the positivity about SB stuff is that it is effectively open source, so there is lots of feedback & extra stuff through the slim devices website?
    Running it via NAS can be straightforward or tricky....dependent on the NAS.
    Get one & see.

robs, Dec 22, 2007
Ask a Question