is the arcam avr 200 any good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by parkerj, Apr 20, 2005.

1. parkerj

parkerj

i would like a av reciver and like this what do you think?

parkerj, Apr 20, 2005
  2. parkerj

parkerj

i am thinking about buying this do you think its any good

parkerj, Apr 20, 2005
  3. parkerj

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

So good it deserves two posts.

I-S, Apr 20, 2005
  4. parkerj

gregf

Not much AV advice in this forum, you better ask the question on the AVforum. As far as I know is it quite an old receiver and has been replaced by much better ones.

gregf, Apr 20, 2005
  5. parkerj

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

And as a serious answer, I believe that it is quite highly regarded. Tone (Wadia-Meister) here had one, which he replaced with an AVR300 IIRC. I'm sure he can recommend a few tweaks for it too.

I-S, Apr 20, 2005
  6. parkerj

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The avr200 is more orinitated towards a musical presenation of A/v, its not over endouded with the latest av features or power, it has PLII 5 channel 70 rms, a decent tuner, and is actually pretty good with music.
    Look to pay between £350/£420 used. its a good performer in its bracket. Wm

wadia-miester, Apr 21, 2005
  7. parkerj

Mr Perceptive

Avr200

I bought an AVR200 from ePAy a couple of months ago, came with the wrong remote which seller calimed was correct, but we sorted that out and I now have the latest CR80 remote (from the AVR300).

For an AV receiver it is very musical, I have now sold my Naim 62/SNAPS/140 and am using the AVR200 for all my playback (audio and video). It is a little refined (smooth) comapred (equally detailed, maybe better at the top end)with Naims and lacks that ultimate bass punch, but the bass presented is very clean. I was also using a Yamaha DSPE800 before, and movies were very exciting, the Arcam presents stuff in a different way and voices and the midband frequencies are just stunning.

Complaints:-

1) The onboard DAC for audio is not very good, keep your CD player or outboard DAC

2) When movies really get going, it runs out of steam a little bit at the bass end. I'm driving Shahinian Arcs and the front (not easy) and the AVR200 just seems to run out of power reserves. Not too bad, but not quite what I want. I'm thinking of adding a beefy power amp

Does that help

Mr Perceptive

WM's on the money too, I paid £341 plus the remote upgrade cost me £30

Mr Perceptive, Apr 22, 2005
Ask a Question