is the lp12 a great record deck?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dan gleebits, Jun 6, 2007.

1. dan gleebits

Karnevil9

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
    Karnevil9, Nov 17, 2007
  2. dan gleebits

DSJR

I'm going to jump in and suggest the LP12 WAS important thirty years ago. With the Grace 707 (and 717) and the likes of a Supex 900 or Grado Signature (in the 717) it was more involving and enjoyable to listen to when playing the often badly cut and pressed records of the era.

Ivor really rammed the message home and as the LP12 gained even more character as the Ittok years dawned, then disciples like me grew to dislike practically every other deck around.

My full comeuppance came via the lovely Notts Analogue Spacedeck/RB300/K9, which easily saw off an LP12 with same cartridge in an Ittok. This era nearly twenty years ago brought about a massive change in the way I enjoyed live music and "felt" reproduced music of all genres.

I think the LP12 is now a victim of a dwindling market and Linns apparent financial troubles, the retail costs of the deck and its mods (Keel etc.) are way above their true value. At least it's still available to those that want one and old ones should take advantage of discarded Cirkus kits etc. Since I can't afford a new Super-deck, I'm more interested in the better vintage turntables and crave a decent TD124, which I've never owned...

DSJR, Nov 19, 2007
  3. dan gleebits

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Its one of the most classic pieces of hifi of all time

Linn LP12
    LS3/5a
    Quad ESL 57/63
    Leak Stereo 20
    Leak Troughline

Just like any of the above can arguably be 'bettered' with unlimited budget and skill, they are still absolute classics.

bottleneck, Nov 20, 2007
  4. dan gleebits

Joe

I had a similar experience with a Roksan Xerxes/RB300/K9 vs an LP12 (though I had never owned an LP12, I had heard plenty, and very much wanted to own one). I traded in the Xerxes for a Xerxes X a couple of years back, and have never felt the need to look any further.

Joe, Nov 20, 2007
  5. dan gleebits

nando nando

is the titanic still crussing ?

nando, Nov 20, 2007
  6. dan gleebits

DSJR

Brutal! - :)

DSJR, Nov 20, 2007
Ask a Question