Is this a rather worrying trend (my friends and HIFI seperates)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Aug 10, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

All my friends have HIFI seperates (or soon will do) I am sure I must have hidden sales talents, they all seem to get them after hearing my system and my system is not really that good compared to the most :confused:

Even my sister has a HIFI seperates system although thats made of mainly hand me downs and car boot sale stuff.

Has anybody else managed to convince all their mates to ditch the evil mini systems?

amazingtrade, Aug 10, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

maybe consider a career in HIFI sales / marketing! ? :) :lol: .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2005
    lhatkins, Aug 10, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

I am no where nearing qualified enough, I couldn't really do a sales job and I don't really do anything. Its just because I am known to be such a geek my friends always respect my technical opinions.

amazingtrade, Aug 10, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I know 8 people with macs and 2 about to get one, all because of me.

garyi, Aug 11, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

You should be locked up :D Actually I wouldn't mind a Mac if there were PC compatable (which they will probably be soon when they switch to Intel). At the moment though I need an x86 based machine.

amazingtrade, Aug 11, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

so, whats the worrying trend..?? - that people are listening to your advice..?? :)

mr cat, Aug 11, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Run away - run away!!!

Maybe you should rename yourself to iGary - he he!

Seriosly here, I quite like what Macs can do, but the lack of games... :(

domfjbrown, Aug 16, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

GAZZ

Salespersons do not need training you can either do it or not. I worked for a big company and the best salesman had no qualification above CSE.

GAZZ, Aug 16, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

I must admit thelack of games can be a bummer. However on the flip side I am not a serious gamer.

I am just having another stab at Doom 3, (thats how far behind I am) since the tiger OS came out it is actually playable.

garyi, Aug 16, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I've only just got Doom3 (with my new graphics card) - I'm not a big gamer either, but the GTA series and Doom are exceptions :)

domfjbrown, Aug 16, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

I rarely squeal like a pig, but I did in doom.

garyi, Aug 16, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

I don't mean I couldn't do it becuase of my qualifications I couldn't do it becuase I am too honest, for example if a customer really wants a Pioneer A109 I will them to its crap and get somthing else :)

amazingtrade, Aug 16, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

Tell me Dom what exactly can "Macs" do? apart from make a whole lot of noise, crash, they're just a fashion statement IMHO, overpriced fashion accessory.
    I know from experience as one of the offices I used to work they had 3 of the monsters G4's I think, all the "arty" types use them, ya whatever.
    Though they are starting to use more standardised hardware now, and what's the rumer I hear about them looking to use Intel Chips? They might as well build a pc and put a mac badge on it.

lhatkins, Aug 16, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

They ARE switching to Intel chips. You will be able to run Winblows on a Mac but not OS X on a PC. they will still be able to make OS X very stable by knowing the exact hardware. so I do think its a good move except that all Mac developers now have to re-code for x86 OS X. I like Macs but only because of the OS and the stability of specified hardware.

None of my friends have gone to separates systems! They all mini systems which are crap. Even my friend who is the other half of our band just uses a PC with cheap headphones. He does seem to like crap in most things though! I think I'll get him a decent pair of headphones for his birthday. Oh I got my brother to get some Grado 60 headphones and thn all his friends wanted to get them as well lol!

Tenson, Aug 16, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Tenson how honest are you? If my mates ask me how does this sound and I think it sounds like my parents Mono Panny TVs speaker I shal say so. I am too honest for my own good some times.

16. amazingtrade

AT: No I think this is a good trait, my feeling is, if someone wants your opinion, give them an honest one, why lie? or beat around the bush, they're not going to learn from it. I say carry one, you must be done something right.

Tenson: Ya thought so, but didn't think it was X86 based, oh dear oh dear oh dear, hehe :lol: I take it it'll be an Intel (oh sorry AMD) 64bit chip then? OS X is unix based itsn't it? so technically you could run Linux on the mac? (which would be cool). They're still over priced though, you'll not get me on that one!
    As for you mates, Midi systems really? I guess they'll all of the MP3 ilk who can't tell the difference between cd, vinyl or MP3 ??? that would be an interesting contest for them.

lhatkins, Aug 16, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

I'm pretty honest (I could be lying though!), but I wouldn't say their systems sounded crap unless they asked!

I suppose sound quality is something my friends just don't think is important.

Having said that, my brother never cared, but now he has lived with his Grado headphones for over a year he seems a bit pickier. He was complaining about the quality of the soundcard in his laptop. So I think it's probably that they have never experienced quality sound for more than a few moments listening to my system and don't know any better. If they had the chance to hear a good Hi-Fi for more than a few moments they might change their minds.

Tenson, Aug 16, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

Lee lee lee. You stick with windows mate its probably for the best.

garyi, Aug 16, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

I am a member and moderator of a large student forum and a lot of people on there are shocked that I paid £65 for my headphones when I could have got them for £1 form the Poundshop.

Yet they think nothing of spending £200 to get their flashy cars serviced.

Of course some times I do have to keep things in, I was at my mates house the other day and I nearly said this house could do with rewiring they are the original 1960's sockets and roses but I thought that might just sound too cheeky! So I kept quiet but if I thought it was dangerious than I would have said somthing.

20. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

I think it is, they said you could run windows on it so it must be, right? Unless only the new Windows will support the Macs or something.. Should run Unix and Linux also.

Yup all MP3 kinda people. Sad, isn't it? My friend Howard in the band has heard my system loads, always buys the original CDs... but then immediately MP3s them to his computer and listens on £10 headphones from Liddle! I think in his case he may just be put off by the amount of money I have spent on it and knows he would never afford a better system than me so he doesn't want to bother hehe... He is the one-up kinda person.

Right Im off to have a nice long bath!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2005
    Tenson, Aug 16, 2005
Ask a Question