Is this somewhat speaker box material?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lennyp, Jun 30, 2024.

1. Lennyp

Lennyp

I know it is a little thick....but is this somewhat the correct Mdf for speaker box?? Thank you I am new at this

Attached Files:

Lennyp, Jun 30, 2024
  2. Lennyp

Sergeauckland

The picture looks more like chipboard than MDF, but that's fine as well.

You certainly can make a loudspeaker cabinet out of chipboard. As to thickness, I don't think you can have it too thick. Unless you have extensive experience and measuring equipment, the best cabinet is one that's very stiff and well braced. The opposite is to have a very lossy cabinet, that damps resonances well, but that's far more difficult for an amateur to achieve.

Make the box strong, with all joints airtight, and you'll be OK.

By the way, if the material you're using is thick, remember that what matters is the internal dimensions of the box, so you need to allow for the thickness of the material.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jun 30, 2024
    Arkless Electronics likes this.
  3. Lennyp

Arkless Electronics

Heybrook at one time insisted on chip board for their cabinets. Comeau thought it to have better inherent damping than MDF.

Arkless Electronics, Jun 30, 2024
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  4. Lennyp

Sergeauckland

Yes, it does, but doesn't machine as well, so joints tend to be simpler, like just a mitre, rather than the more intricate joints machined into MDF,

MDF can also be sprayed for different finishes, whereas chlpboard will need veneer of some sort.

This doesn't affect the amateur constructor unless they're building to furniture standards.

In my 'speaker building days, I've used blockboard, plywood, chipboard and MDF. Results were much more to do with my (in)competence than with the material.

S

Sergeauckland, Jun 30, 2024
    Arkless Electronics likes this.
  5. Lennyp

Arkless Electronics

Indeed...Apparently it took some doing on Heybrook's part to persuade cabinet makers to use the chipboard due to the machining difficulties!

Arkless Electronics, Jun 30, 2024
Ask a Question