Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Draclvr, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Draclvr

Draclvr

Purchased a new Onkyo TX8270 to replace my 20 year old receiver. The Onkyo has multiple HDMI ports and is WiFi, Bluetooth and Chromecast enabled. There are A and B speakers for speaker wires.

I also have a WD NAS where I have uploaded a lot of music from old CDs which is connected to my Samsung TV through the Plex Media Server.

Is it possible to use the digital audio out from the TV to the digital audio in on the Onkyo receiver and then push my music out to a wireless speaker outside (obviously capable of using any of these wireless options) using WiFi, Bluetooth or Chromecast? Or am I whistling in the wind!

No forums at Onkyo to ask the question. Maybe I've just gotta have the damned wires going outside!

Draclvr, Jun 7, 2019
  2. Draclvr

sktn77a

Certainly possible to play the tv audio through the onkyo. If you can currently play any other source from the onkyo to your bluetooth speakers then you can play tv audio (and therefore the WD files) through them.

sktn77a, Jul 1, 2019
  3. Draclvr

Draclvr

Thank you! Since I had posted this almost a month ago, I have pretty much figured it out with help from another audio forum. I even figured out how to cast music to the Onkyo and have it play on my wired speakers outside. I was unable to use my digital audio out because of my husband's TV Ears setup which are not an option to get rid of! However, the TV has an ARC HDMI port and I was able to use that to connect TV audio to the Onkyo. It's not perfect, but it works!

I build computers and work on them for other people. But this stuff makes my brain hurt and it took a lot of beer to get it all talking to each other!

Draclvr, Jul 1, 2019
Ask a Question