Is WM about?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Coda II

vibbles

FWIW, diyhifisupply are a Hong Kong based company run by a Canadian called Brian Cherry, it supplies a range of high quality kits which can be supplied ready built and components for diy, it is very well thought of

vibbles, Jan 12, 2006
  2. Coda II

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Paul L,

I can recommend the Django. I got mine from Hong Kong. The service was first rate and quick. It is very similar to the Music First version. The transformers are British made S&B like in the Music First. I loaned mine to someone who has a Music First unit and he prefered mine. The Django can come with many options (wiring, switches, transformers, Sockets etc) and can be supplied pre built or ready made. It is much cheaper than the Music First unit.

It's a good buy.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jan 12, 2006
  3. Coda II

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

You get two versions of the Django, ONE is based on the "generic" version of the S&B TX-102 also sold to DIY'ers. Tenson got the other.... :D

The TX-102 version made for Music First Audio does differ in some specific areas, not hugely and nothing that shows up on FR/THD measurements, but notable.

A good cmparison of the sound of the generic vs. Music First is found in the reviews of the AUdioZone Pre-1T vs. Music First over at www.6moons.com.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Coda II

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Posts much appreciated Gents, I'm keen to try a good passive along the way. Rightly or wrongly my expectation is that assuming there is no mismatch with the system (impedance or anything else technical to glaze me over) then passive has to be better and any preference fo active would be deficiency on my part i.e. active adds something and it would be another case of weaning off of the habit.

It's a general philosophy of mine as some will know that I think one of the keys to good audio in the home is acclimatisation. By this I mean that we should not succumb to the A v B, the quick impression, shying away from change because it feels like a withdrawal symptom. I think the best changes we make, the one's that shift our systems up a notch are (although not necessarily to the exclusion of all other considerations of course) those that remeove the addition, those that strip away the colouration and the emphasised frequency and allow you to hear further into the music which was previously hiding behind.

Perhaps this is ideology or simply innacurate but it's the effect I felt when trying numerous phono stages and then moving to a current 834P Deluxe, it was the first not to compress on the demands of classical and to open up records which had seemed mediocre up to that point. It's the effect I felt when moving to my current amps, the same when I brought the SME10 home recently to try in place of the Spacedeck. Each time I have made one of these changes I have heard more and gained greater understanding of my music whilst conscious that something has calmed down or become more neutral. Then, as I slowly work my way through records I have listened to for years I am amazed by the opening up of their contents.

My preconception is that this is the effect a passive should have and that even if it doesn't then the reason will perhaps lie elsewhere. I confess though that I understand nothing about the electronics and this is perhaps misguided.

I ought to get to listen, before buying ideally.

Paul L, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Coda II

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Coda,

All sorted now link is fine

wadia-miester, Jan 13, 2006
Ask a Question