isolation

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, Jun 29, 2008.

1. banpe2006

zanash

The reasan the wine glass is supporting the weight is the same as a raw egg will support a disproportionate ammount of weight ie its shape ....

This wine glass experiment seems an interesting route ....note that the glass will not ring like a shelf as its under consideable compression.....There is no doubt that any number of household items can be used ....I've tried egg cups but found no advantage....

granite shelves are effective as they add mass ....in most circumstances more mass is better ...it the one thing commercial manufactures try to do with out as it costs them money .....

Adding mass lowers the resonate frequency of a system ...and as I've already intermated hi freq vibrations are bad in the hifi/shelf scenario .....I can only speculate why ...

lets assume for a second that your vibrating a wire in as magnetic field ...we all know [should know] that this is the principle behind the dynamo and infact all electrical power generation and so this will generate an emf ....

this must be the same in a cdp ...theres certainly enough wire/copper tracks and theres are magnetic fields ....it doesn't take a genius to recognise that if you can remove some of the vibration modes you might be able to improve the performance of the player.

Bobcc just because its not got sloping sides doesn't make it not a cone ..draw a line through the limits of the contact points and tell us what shape you come up with ......

zanash, Jul 3, 2008
  2. banpe2006

DavidF

no....no.....absolutely not....

were always intersted in hearing new ideas

;)

DavidF, Jul 3, 2008
  3. banpe2006

DavidF

"this must be the same in a cdp ...theres certainly enough wire/copper tracks and theres are magnetic fields ....it doesn't take a genius to recognise that if you can remove some of the vibration modes you might be able to improve the performance of the player."

....sure, the basics of microphany pete?

DavidF, Jul 3, 2008
  4. banpe2006

D Louth 77

HI David F

To answer your questions . Miliput acts as glue and a material that can be used to dampen surfaces but i must say i have never tried it against blue tack .Filling the feet with blue tack might have been better . The thing that i found amazing was that despite the structural improvement to the Marantz the cones still lifted sound quality a lot . The thicker base helped the sound and maybe if i had built a base out of granite or slate and bolted that to the base things might have been even better. However working at such materials is difficult and i don't know about you but looking at the confused face of a monumental stone mason is something i try to avoid ,having done it a few times in the past.
    Art Audio use granite in the base of their cd player and i remember an American company called Barclay making cd players out of granite,corian etc ,years ago. Oracle's new Delphi turntable mk5 can be got with a granite base .And HNE make stands and tables out of granite.

I can't remember what i used ,any thing that lay about the workshop as an off cut ,sorry but this was back in 1989 .

RDC works because it is a blend of different materials each with its own resonant point . I think that the key to this is being able to tune each solution to the resonant characteristic of the item to be worked on and suitable different materials to offer maximum isolation. And their platforms use a cut out in the base filled with RDC to damp resonances in the bottom of the shelves and isolation platforms.

Silent Running an American company do this,some of their technology is used by them to make submarines run silent and sonar invisible;hence one of their products is called Ohio .I have not tried any of these but they build the product to suit the item to be isolated .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jul 3, 2008
  5. banpe2006

hifinutt

hifinutt, Jul 6, 2008
  6. banpe2006

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

how much are they for christs sake, a bit of sorebothane in a heat sealed wrapper.

sq225917, Jul 6, 2008
  7. banpe2006

mr cat Member of the month

yes - but you do get 4... :D

mr cat, Jul 6, 2008
Ask a Question