Isotek mini sub?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jtc, Dec 2, 2005.

1. jtc

jtc

Hi folks.

A mate of mine has taken an Isotek Mini Sub GII as part ex against a TT he was selling. He's already fully Shunyata'd, so offered it to me for what appears to be a good price (£300, versus rrp of £500). I've already got a dedicated consumer unit and spurs, so would the Mini Sub be of any benefit to me?

Just curious because the bumf on their website makes a lot of sense, but maybe that's only for folks without a dedicated mains spur/consumer unit?

Anyone here using one? I've no interest in buying new if I can help it, and I wasn't planning on buying one before, but I'm an opportunist... ;)

John

jtc, Dec 2, 2005
  2. jtc

Garmt

You have to try, it works in some sets, in others it doesn't. In my system, my Lavardin reacted in a negative way on an Isotek Orion, but with a MultiWay it performed better than with a standard consumer unit.

Garmt, Dec 2, 2005
  3. jtc

jtc

Hmmmm... I'll have to try it, I know, but he's a way away so it could be a while before I get a chance to go collect it. My mains setup is, fyi, 4x6mm 32A spurs into double MK unswitched sockets, dedicated Memera 2000AD6 consumer unit. So, a little bit up from just a dedicated spur on a shared CU, but is the filtration and isolation really necessary...??

jtc, Dec 2, 2005
  4. jtc

Garmt

Hard to say... But with such good attention to detail in your current mains situation, I doubt the MiniSub will make much difference. It could even make the sound worse. I have never heard an amplifier perform better with it (o.k. I have: Quad 99).

Garmt, Dec 2, 2005
  5. jtc

jtc

Hmmmm... #2

I'll speak to my friend and see if he's got anyone lined up, and see if I can borrow it to try - and, of course, report back...

jtc, Dec 2, 2005
  6. jtc

Garmt

Niiiice! Let us know! :) I like the Isotek products, but like I said, they are not beneficial in all situations.

Garmt, Dec 2, 2005
  7. jtc

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i had the mk1 isotek - it worked well on my squeezebox, napsc, and video stuff however it killed my preamp (naim nac 82 2x hicaps) and power amp (naim nap 250). isotek say they've fixed this for the mk2 so definately worth a go but only if you can try b4 you buy.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Dec 2, 2005
Ask a Question