Its been a bit quiet

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Tenson

kmac

Also on the original subject of your post....it cetainly isn't "quiet" here any more. Ses what you've done Simon:D

kmac, Sep 7, 2007
  2. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Well a thanks to Kmac and Rob for the company yesterday! YaBoo (Kevan) didn't turn up and I'm not sure what happened to him? Despite being one man short it was still good fun and we still didn't get through all the music bought along.

Kmac, maybe you could PM me what some of those discs were so I can check them out? Wish we had got to play a few more of them before you went.

After listening to a fair bit of music we had a play with some kit, too. There was a digital vs. vinyl shootout between my highly modified Behringer DEQ2496 fed by a humble Technics CD player optical output and the C, Hilson & Son of Bath gramophone using the 'Loud' diaphragm and soft brass needles.

[​IMG]
    Technics CD player > Modified DEQ2496 > Cyrus 3 > small DIY speakers
    [​IMG]
    C, Hilson & Son of Bath gramophone, if I read the photo correctly!
    [​IMG]

The conclusion was rather inconclusive :p Vinyl is definitely more involving, what with all the changing of needles, winding of the handle and lifting of that heavy lid... but a really good digital front end like the AudioSmile modified DEQ delivers on the detail retrieval, lower noise and all those Hi-Fi things, and of course ease of use. However, each has its own moments of greatness and I think for a really top notch system you need both! :cool: Budget allowing, of course.

We then listened to the Sony direct drive TT with Technics 205CMK3 cartridge. Despite the age, the kit is probably capable of rather good sound, but except for an indo-jazz fusion record that was crap music, all the records were well over-played. We did find a Cliff Richard original mono LP though! :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More music was appreciated, along with a large plate of samosas and a few drinks and then Kmac had to head home to another party, as you do. :SLEEP:

Rob and I then played with the first speakers I owned, passed on to me from my Dad upgrading to some Mission 770's (IIRC). These were the KLH.... somethings (cue Rob!)

[​IMG]

You know what? They sound f**king good! The top end is clear and sweet and the bottom end is tight and authoritative. The mid is a little coloured but not badly... and they are a bit senior! They definitely sound better than the Mordaunt Short MS25i floorstanders that I replaced them with... ummm, yeah.

A bit later we then tried the Mission 760's.
    [​IMG]
    They used to be surround sound speakers when we had a big house but have since, pretty much, been in the loft. These had a nice tight bottom, big sound and were very enjoyable, perhaps 'musical'. :eek: I should throw them in the bin. :mad:

A nice time was had by all the end. And hopefully I can arrange another gathering soon with those who didn't manage to attend this time. I'm sure I will see a lot of you at the nearing show, too.

Oh and here is a pic of one of the acoustic panels, with some nice art on it, an option that will shortly be available once I get around to updating the website :)

[​IMG]

Tenson, Sep 10, 2007
  3. Tenson

RobHolt Moderator

It was a very enjoyable day Simon and lord only knows what else is lurking up in that loft!

I think the KLH speakers were 331s and they did sound bloody good considering they must be about 30 years old.
    The little Mission 760s brought back memories as I had the very similar 780s years ago - punchy little things.

That old gramaphone stole the day. That thing played LOUD with those Rachmaninov 78s.

The little DIY speakers sound much bigger than they look and have surprising bass clout - no problem with the Quincy Jones :)

RobHolt, Sep 10, 2007
  4. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Haha, there are lots of cool things :D

For one, there is an acoustic guitar that cost around £1,000 10-years ago. A friend of my Dads left it there when she moved to Portugal, but she has never asked for it since. I think it must be a bit funny after sitting up there for a good few years. :guitar:

Tenson, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Tenson

Dev Moderator

Hi Simon,

I thought this was going to be a bake off to compare DACs (DAC-off?:D). What happened? Not enough DACs?

Dev, Sep 10, 2007
  6. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

An Indo-Jazz fusion record that you found in the loft? If it's what I think it is, you are right. Total crap.
    Let me take it off your hands for you :)

joel, Sep 10, 2007
  7. Tenson

kmac

I'll second the "very enjoyable day"

Dev no-one showed up with a DAC let alone a DAC 64 so we had to "make do" with listening to music, chilling out and eating samosas.

On the samosa front, they were some of the best I've had, especially the "secret recipie" sauce that went with them.

I was really impressed with the little DIY speakers. Very open sound and excellent bass. "a nice tight bottom" ;)

I think the lamp in the corner with the fuzzy blue light really helped though - all the molecules of air in the room seemed to dance in time with the music (we measured this with the metronome) :JPS:

kmac, Sep 10, 2007
  8. Tenson

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Simon,

Couldn't leave that one alone! did someone say guitars? :)

I don't know if you know this (and apologies if you do!!).. when storing a guitar for years it's a good idea to de-tension the strings. I've seen cases where a guitar neck has been bowed beyond use by being 'attic'd' with strings on. The temperature changes in an attic combined with the string tension can really bend a neck beyond playability over years.

That would be a real shame with a nice guitar like this one (guitars to me are almost like people, and I don't like to see them get hurt!).

What kind is it by the way? - out of interest.

bottleneck, Sep 10, 2007
  9. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I'm not sure what it is. Since it is not mine I never touched it. But after all this time I start to wonder if it will ever be asked for by the original owner!

I certainly hope the strings were de-tensioned but I have a horrid feeling they were not. I will have to take it down and check it out next time I am up there.

Joel, the indo-jazz record had an Indian woman on the front in classic get-up. Dunno if that helps.

Tenson, Sep 10, 2007
  10. Tenson

sideshowbob Trisha

If it's this then you're an ignorant pleb, because it's a great record :)

[​IMG]

It's also worth money if it's an early pressing in good condition.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 10, 2007
  11. Tenson

Dev Moderator

Simon, chuck it my way if you really think it's rubbish :D.

Dev, Sep 10, 2007
  12. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

Dev, you're third in line :)
    SSB: Shhh.

joel, Sep 10, 2007
  13. Tenson

Dev Moderator

Yes, but I'm the nearest one to him, he doesn't need to throw it very far.:D.

Dev, Sep 10, 2007
  14. Tenson

sideshowbob Trisha

I've already got a copy :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 10, 2007
  15. Tenson

kmac

Ian

Having seen the cover of Simon's indo-jazz record on Saturday.....it looked different from yours. That's not to say it's not the same album I guess.

I think Simon commented that it was a bit like beeing in an Indian restaurant as we were listening to that record, eating samosas and drinking cobra beer.

There were some even older records... some one sided ones and one with a thick lip on the outside edge. Definately one for " in the attic" or whatever that programme is that unearths valuable items from peoples' attics

kmac, Sep 10, 2007
  16. Tenson

RobHolt Moderator

It really was boring 'plinky plonky' music of the type played on a tape loop at the local Indian.

Then again it could be the fault of the PRaT-less Sony DD ;)

RobHolt, Sep 10, 2007
  17. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

SSB linked to a picture of Indo Jazz Fusion Volume II. There is also a volume I.
    I would be interested in either, and would be willing to paypal a reasonable amount of money for a good condition OP for my own use, not for resale :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
    joel, Sep 11, 2007
  18. Tenson

sideshowbob Trisha

I've already got volume one as well :)

Just to be annoying...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 11, 2007
  19. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I will go get a picture of it for you. No telling if my Dad will want to sell it though :confused: But, it did seem in superb condition.

Tenson, Sep 11, 2007
  20. Tenson

Markus S Trade

Annoying b*astard.

Markus S, Sep 11, 2007
Ask a Question