It's finally working

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by loonykev, Sep 10, 2008.

1. loonykev

loonykev

Hi, My first post and I've finally got this system working properly!
    Arcam FMJ A32
    Arcam FMJ P35
    Arcam FMJ CD36
    Cambridge Azur TT50 (I don't know why I bought that)
    Pioneer CT-S550S bought new 10 years ago.
    Ruark Crusader 2

Sony HXD 970 - connected by HDMI to
    Sony KDL32D3000 - audio outputs to A32

The A32 is driving the Crusader tweeters and the P35 is driving the mids and basses. I haven't tried any other combination of bi-amping tri-wireable speakers yet. The A32 has been back to Arcam once, and the P35 twice since 21/7, but the service has been very good. All Arcam units bought from Sevenoaks Brighton, and all problems have been dealt with very well. Next day courier collection in each case. I don't know if other retailers will do that.
    Cheers, Kevin Hall

loonykev, Sep 10, 2008
  2. loonykev

kmac

Well done looney kev - any pics?

kmac, Sep 10, 2008
  3. loonykev

funk-it

Hi, I also have a FMJ CD36.Are you happy with yours and your amp too

funk-it, Oct 3, 2008
  4. loonykev

loonykev

Hi kmac, Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I have pics but I couldn't send them without compressing them and I haven't worked out how to do that yet.
    Hi funk-it, Yes, I am very pleased with all the Arcam gear that I recently bought.
    This system is set up in the 12ft x 9ft end of a 16ft x 12ft L-shaped bedsit that I am currently occupying after a messy divorce. The speakers are just over 3ft apart either side of the TV and I have angled them toward my sitting position, and placed a piece of 3/4 ply under the front spikes of each, so the tweeters are aimed straight at my ears. The left speaker is 2 ft from a window, and the right is 18 inches from a wall. My sitting position is 6ft from the speakers.The audio components are in a rack to the left of the left speaker. I'm using QED silver anniversary speaker cables and cheapo Cambridge Atlantic interconnects. I have heard a number of different surround systems in larger rooms, but I haven't heard anything to compare with this setup. Watching BlackHawk Down or Band of Brothers with the volume wound up, you'd think they were fighting their way into the room. It sounds realistic, and I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of heavy automatic fire. For me, a good 2-channel setup is superior to surround sound especially in a room this size. When (if) I find more permanent accommodation I might change my mind. This system might not suit a larger room, but it will do for now.
    Cheers guys.

loonykev, Oct 4, 2008
  5. loonykev

DavidF

Hi LK

welcome to the forum

I'm hardly the person to advise about modern technology......but to comptress pictures i get them into a photo suit (in my case adobe)......compress them there (make sure you do it AS A COPY :) ) .....then you can up load.

I'm certain some one will be alon to tell me i'm talking cr*p though, in a moment :).

BTW, if you have windows xp you can sao do it in "my pictures" ...

I usualy do it adobe though

DavidF, Oct 5, 2008
  6. loonykev

loonykev

Hi DavidF, Thank you for the welcome, I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Sony Vaio. I've only just taken up digital photography, having had real photography as a hobby for almost forty years - it seems to be a cheats paradise, and has changed photography from an art form into a science. My camera seems to want to take 5 frames at a time when set to a low resolution. I bought my hi-fi to listen to, rather than photograph anyway. I was hoping for some comments about my setup, I have now doubled the thickness of ply under the front spikes and put a single piece under the rear spikes in order to isolate the speakers from the carpeted wooden floor.
    Regards, Kevin Hall

loonykev, Oct 5, 2008
  7. loonykev

DavidF

:D

yes. in many ways i agree

yup

no probs

Yes, I too have been playing isolation games quite abit over the last 12/18 months.

Have you gained good/helpful sonic benefits?

DavidF, Oct 5, 2008
  8. loonykev

loonykev

Hi David, Perhaps you can translate this into audiospeak, but when I'm listening to The Eagles' Hotel California, there's a drum roll at the end of the intro, and several longer drum rolls through the piece. They now sound as though there is someone in my room with a drumkit, rather than someone hitting a metal tray with a wooden spoon. Hope that makes sense. Cheers, Kevin

loonykev, Oct 8, 2008
  9. loonykev

DavidF

WEll.......

I ve been playing a bit with vibration dissipation and isolation over the last year or so.

Domestic domands (My Mum and Dad now needing help) + credit crunch effects have largely stopped play now but....

Recent experimention includes acquiring old car inner tubes (really soft rubber) and putitng it under my speaker stands. BIG mprovement in soundstage.

Going back a bit....cones with a ball bearing inserted to support audio equipment. Astonishing sonic improvement possible here (IMO of course).

Sonic benefits include for me more precise positioning of instruments; greating width/depth of soundstage; bass extention (the inner tuber concept esp!!)

Working towards a holographic presentation. :)

DavidF, Oct 9, 2008
  10. loonykev

loonykev

Hi David, I can hear differences with different layouts/set-ups, but I do not know how to describe them. Please explain what is meant by the term soundstage, and how would you describe the difference I mentioned in my last post. What now sounds like a drumkit in the room, used to sound like a metal tray being banged with a wooden spoon. Is there somewhere I can read definitions of the various terms used here? I cannot describe what I am hearing unless I understand the language!
    Regards, Kevin Hall

loonykev, Oct 11, 2008
  11. loonykev

DavidF

well.....

lke i think i said......what i look for are

1) soundtage

2) definition of instruments

3) sonic extention

Ok.....

what i look for in my system is the production if an image or soundsatge being produce behind the speakers.

thus, the vocalist shoiuld appear to be singing from the middle, about a foot (or so) behing the speakers....at a height of roughly 6'......or 5'6" if female! (im being frivolous but you get my point?)

you are looking to get an impression of instrumets being played at distinct location around the vocalist, such as you would if you were listeing to a live band.

This is the point

you are getting good sonic extention, such that the your equipment sounds realisticly like a drum kit

all to the good!

yes!

here!

I agree to an extent....I found it helpful to be guided in where my kit was going.....

but don't get caught up too much in the jargon (IMO).....you run the risk of being cauht up in the marketing hype......and i think (dare isay it) there is some w***y waving on forums

If you get pleasure form listeiing to your kit.....thats really all you need to know...

if you are tapping your foot to it.....its right for you

that said......if you want to start tweaking to improve it; there ARE things you acn do!

DavidF, Oct 14, 2008
  12. loonykev

DavidF

kevin

does that make sense?

DavidF, Oct 14, 2008
  13. loonykev

loonykev

Hi David, Yes thank you for that very helpful information. I recognise what you are talking about from my previous set-up. I have a Dual CV5600 amp that used to run Ruark Swordsman speakers, but the speakers were much further apart than I can have them in my present (temporary) accommodation. I used to close my eyes and I could imagine a band on a stage in front of me. That Dual amp only puts out 2X35w, but that seemed plenty. The current set-up is 2X2X100w bi-amping the much bigger speakers that are only 1 metre apart. Over the weekend, I watched a DVD of the New Year Concert in Vienna, and although the soundstage? is not broad enough - the speakers are not wide enough apart for a symphony orchestra - when the cameras pan to individual instruments, I can clearly hear the triangle being struck, and also the bass drum, and everything in between. These speakers have a frequency response of 40hz - 20khz, and seem to handle any input very well. Thanks for your knowledge and advice so far.
    Cheers, Kevin

loonykev, Oct 15, 2008
  14. loonykev

DavidF

HI Kevin,

I it was me I woldn't pay much attention to amplifier oiut puts. I think they are pretty acdemic at times.

Of more value (IMO) is how the system is presenting the sound output....

I'm dead envious of your ruarks...I have sceptres.

They are ok but as ever setting up is the key. Ive gone beyond being surprised at the gains that can be acheived here.

DavidF, Oct 16, 2008
  15. loonykev

loonykev

Hi David, Just to make you more envious, I've got a pair of Templar 2s as well. On a more serious note, I've got a pair of Sceptres too, one of which has a dead bass cone, so if you are ever in need of spare parts, don't buy any. What I intend doing eventually is to connect the TV outputs to the Dual amp and use the Templars in a separate system just for video. That should give me better flexibility in placing the Crusaders on the hi-fi system further apart to give a wider "soundstage". Does that sound sensible?
    Cheers, Kevin

loonykev, Oct 20, 2008
  16. loonykev

DavidF

Thanks!

:)

Putting your speakers a good distance apart certainly sounds sensible to me.

DavidF, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question