iTunes Ripping Problems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by plz, Jan 22, 2006.

1. plz

plz

I've noticed what I think are some problems when ripping CDs using iTunes. I'm using iTunes 6 (6.0.1.3) with Apple Lossless. The Preferences-Advanced-Importing-Use Error Correction is turned on.

When playing back through my Squeezebox 2, some tracks will have playback errors (pops, fluttering, that sort of thing). These errors are consistent (ie. always the same locations) so I'm ruling out my PC and network as the cause. Furthermore, when playing back through iTunes on my PC speakers, same errors. And when playing the CD through my Naim CD3, no errors. So my conclusion is that the ripped m4a file is corrupt.

For a couple of tracks that exhibited this problem I re-ripped using iTunes and the problems went away. But I had assumed that ripping with error correction on would result in a bit perfect copy of the file every time. Apparently not so.

Has anyone else encountered such issues with using iTunes to rip CDs? I'm concerned that I'll have to manually check each track by playing back when ripping rather than just relying on iTunes to make bit perfect copies on its own. Kind of a drag if that's really the case IMO.

Any ideas?

-Peter

plz, Jan 22, 2006
  2. plz

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

never had that problem so can't help.

How did they sound with the error correction turned off?

If they sounded fine, then leave it off.

garyi, Jan 22, 2006
  3. plz

plz

Never tried with correction turned off. Is that how you are using it?

What puzzles me is that when I re-ripped the two CDs I tried it with, the errors went away (same iTunes settings both times). Which makes me think iTunes is capable of screwing up a rip. Which seems bad...I'd expect same results every time assuming same settings.

Does EAC support Apple Lossless? (asking cause Apple Lossless is what I want for the iPod).

-Peter

plz, Jan 22, 2006
  4. plz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sounds like another case of apple being style over substance. if you want to rip cd accurately use eac - if apple lossles is available as an external codec then you should be able to use it have a google - i'd be more inclined to use flac with the squeezebox and then transcode to aac or mp3 using foobar or something else to play on your i-spod. in fact i'd get rid of the i-spod and get something else like an archos or cowon (which can play flacs if you want) instead but that's just me.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 23, 2006
  5. plz

plz

Hi julian,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow up on the EAC and Apple Lossless codec.

I don't have an iPod yet but plan to get one. Main reason is that the cars I'm looking at buying next all come with plug'n'play interfaces for the iPod. I mean you buy the cable from the (auto) dealer and hook it up so it is concealed in the glove box, stick the iPod in the glove box, plug in the cable and presto. iPod tunes on the car audio. Not sure if the non-iPod players provide that kind of clean integration.

I suppose ideally, the iPod would support FLAC but I doubt that's coming anytime soon.

-Peter

plz, Jan 23, 2006
  6. plz

Julian, your argument is spurious, I have never had a single issue with any music ripped in itunes.

Therefore with the stats as they stand here, apple have designed a perfect application for everyone.

garyi, Jan 23, 2006
  7. plz

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Unless the plug and play option allows you some kind of control over the i-pod then any MP3 player would work.

Bob McC, Jan 23, 2006
  8. plz

PLZ check exactly whats in the car, if its just a stereo mini jack, then anything will work.

I do laugh at the fiesta advert 'MP3 ready'

Wow you stuck a mini jack on the stereo, well done!

Beamers however have a dock connector meaning the info shows on the stereo, thats handy.

garyi, Jan 23, 2006
  9. plz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

gary,
    the fact that he ripped it the 1st time with itunes and it produced a faulty rip and then a 2nd go produced a 'clean' one proves that i-tunes is very far from perfect. also the fact i and many others don;t use it means it's not for everyone. so wipe the bs off your chin and let me air my prejudices in peace. ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 23, 2006
  10. plz

plz

Exactly. Different cars have different levels of integration. I believe BMW and MB not only allow control of the iPod, they display song info on the in-car audio system. Other cars allow control but no info display (something along the lines of: each of the car stereo's 6 CDs in the changer correspond to the first 6 playlists on the iPod, you can next/prev through the playlists and tracks but no song data gets displayed). Then there are the ones that just allow a player to be plugged in, not what I'm after.

Anyway, the main issue is the error-free ripping of my music for playback at home via the Squeezebox. I need to look at the alternatives to iTunes, at least when using Apple Lossless based on my experience.

-Peter

plz, Jan 24, 2006
  11. plz

robert_cyrus

peter, is your itunes ripping problem repeatable? could it not just be down to the optical drive / cpu throwing a wobbly? (pls excuse the technical term) i've ripped a cd before to aac and had a similar problem with the odd track, so ripped again without a hitch. without changing settings.
    have u tried putting the error correction back to "on" and ripping again? just to see if the issue re-occurs?

robert_cyrus, Jan 24, 2006
  12. plz

plz

Don't know I'm afraid. I only discovered it recently after ripping about 80 CDs. Of the 80, I don't know how many are affected since I have yet to play them all since ripping.

My real concern is that I can re-rip and the issue disappears. This makes me not trust iTunes to do it bit perfect every time as I would have expected. Or at least to always screw up in the same place with a given CD. The inconsistency is what's bothering me.

If there is a CDROM hiccup, iTunes should re-try IMO to re-rip until it gets it right and give up after some pre-set number of attempts. After all that's how the CDROM would work if it was reading a Word or Excel file say. So I really don't know what's going on. And I don't want to play each CD during or right after a rip. That would take too long. I'd rather just trust the ripping program to do it correctly but at faster than real time playback rates.

As far as the iTunes error correction, I've never turned it off, it's always been on in my setup. Not really sure what it does after this experience. :confused:

Still puzzled...

-Peter

plz, Jan 24, 2006
  13. plz

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Haven't seen the problem but here's an uncomplicated workaround: use Windows Media player set to use a high-bit-rate mp3 and the same file-naming convention and location you have set for iTunes. The bonus is that album art is fetched automatically.

SteveC, Jan 25, 2006
  14. plz

plz

SteveC, thanks for the idea but it's not really an option in my situation. I want all the original data if I'm going to rip the CDs (just a personal decision).

-Peter

plz, Jan 25, 2006
Ask a Question