Jamiroquai Dynamite DualDisc

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Dynamic Turtle, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Hey folks,

I see the above album is coming on DualDisc with an "enhanced stereo" version of the album on the DVD layer. Does DualDisc have a fixed sampling rate in this regard i.e. 24-bit 96Khz? There doesn't seem to be any way of telling from the internet listings.

DT

Which again re-inforces (IMHO) the benefits of having ONE smapling rate standard for Hi-rez formats, like SACD's 2.8Mhz :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
    Dynamic Turtle, Nov 24, 2005
  2. Dynamic Turtle

robert_cyrus

quick google reveals:
    on wikipedia
    and continues ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualDisc

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
    robert_cyrus, Nov 24, 2005
  3. Dynamic Turtle

Robert, Whilst I appreciate your post, it doesn't really answer my question, except that I can be assured that the "enhanced stereo" will be no worse than 16/44.1 (which is utterly ridiculous).

DT

No offence intended here btw.

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Dynamic Turtle

robert_cyrus

none taken. was interested in these titles too, as i'd seen some advertised.

now i know my cyrus cd player will hate 'em, cos they'll be too thick - i already get a whooshing sound on a cd which is very slightly dished.

and my pioneer dvd player wont like them, as warned by pioneer themselves.

plus there is no definitive sampling rate, only to say that it's at least 16 bit!

robert_cyrus, Nov 25, 2005
  5. Dynamic Turtle

griffo104

Have you checked your DVD player is compatible with dualdisc ?

I know several manufacturers have said they don't guarentee these things will play as they are thicker than the standard DVD/cd discs.

Just make sure you have checked before it knackers your player.

What the Linn website says about these :

'DualDisc format - is it a supported format for Linn disc players / audio servers?
    No - DualDisc is not supported. DualDisc is a disc format with DVD content on one side and 'CD' on the other (see http://www.dualdisc.com for details). The DVD side comprises DVD-Video and/or DVD-Audio content. The 'CD' side is designed to play on CD players but is not in fact a CD as it is not compliant with the Compact Disc Digital Audio Specification (the industry 'Red Book' CD Standard). These discs are also thicker than standard CDs or DVDs.
    As these discs are not compliant with current industry standard, Linn cannot guarantee that they will play on our range of disc players and audio servers. Nor can we guarantee that the thickness of DualDiscs will not cause problems for these Linn products – possibly damage to the product and/or the disc – if played. Any damage resulting from the playing of DualDiscs will not be covered by the Linn warranty, so using these discs with a Linn disc player or audio server is entirely at the user's risk. '

Don't know what make you have but just be careful.

p.s. this doesn't answer your question either. Also about 90% of dvd-a disks I've got don't even go to 96k sampling rate and are only 24 bit 44k - barely better than cd. Can't see dualdisc being any better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
    griffo104, Nov 25, 2005
  6. Dynamic Turtle

Well, seeing as both my spinners are extremely fussy & have utterly useless transport mechs, it'll probably cause them serious problems :-(

Might as well risk it though, as they could both do with replacing....

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Dynamic Turtle

OK, the disc has arrived and it works fine on both the 900V and 963SA (unusual, as they both have utterly useless transports). For some reason, the "display" function on the 963SA refuses to appear when playing the "high-resolution" stereo track. The 900V does, however. The display says "PCM" and the bit-rate is shown as 1,536 kbps.

Now, AFAIK normal 16/44.1 red-book works around 1.5Mbps. This would imply the "high resolution" stereo track is nothing more than 16/44.1 (or perhaps 16/48?). That is, unless, the highest audio bit-rate that the Sony "display" function can show is 1536Kbps? What would the bit-rate be at 24/96 resolution?

I doubt I'll get a proper response from the record company. In fact, I have absolutely no idea who I should contact in this regard to confirm/deny my suspicions?

Rgds,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Dec 8, 2005
Ask a Question